Central Scouting Likes Hawks
Waterloo, Iowa-Three Waterloo Black Hawks were slotted near the top of their draft-eligible North American counterparts in the NHL Central Scouting service's mid-term rankings, released Tuesday.
Cal Petersen, Eamon McAdam, and Ian McCoshen have all drawn the attention of NHL officials preparing for the 2013 draft this June in New Jersey. Each January, the league announces a mid-season update on leading prospects before issuing a final list in April, near the end of the regular season.
Petersen is in his first full season in the Black Hawks' net. The Waterloo native is ranked 4th among North American goalies in the eligible age group to be selected. Committed to Notre Dame, Petersen has a 10-8-0 record this season, including a pair of shutouts in USHL play. He has a 3.29 goals-against average, and has stopped 88.7% of the shots he has faced.
Petersen's creasemate McAdam is close behind, appearing seventh on the goalie list. In his second full campaign with the Hawks, the Penn State recruit is 11-3-0, also with two shutouts. During the 2012 Junior Club World Cup in Russia last August, McAdam was named the tournament's top goalie. He also helped the U.S. Junior Select team to a gold medal in November during the World Junior A Challenge. Petersen and McAdam are the only USHL goaltenders ranked in the North American top 20 by Central Scouting.
Third-year defenseman Ian McCoshen claimed the 21st spot among non-goalies. He was the eighth-highest defenseman playing in the U.S. or Canada at midseason. Central Scouting's preseason Watch List graded McCoshen as an "A" prospect, indicating that he would be a candidate to be drafted in the first round. Tuesday's ranking keeps him on that trajectory. With five goals and 13 assists in 24 appearances, McCoshen is just two points shy of his scoring total from last season. His +19 plus/minus rating is among the top ten in the USHL.
The Black Hawks travel to meet the Lincoln Stars Tuesday evening. This weekend, Waterloo visits the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders Friday before a home contest with the Dubuque Fighting Saints Saturday.
United States Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2013
- USHL Update - Week 16 - USHL
- Stars Swing Past Black Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Green & Gold Update - Sioux City Musketeers
- Lindgren Ranked 23rd in NHL Central Scouting Mid-Term Rankings - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stampede Weekly Update: Herd Look to Extend Win Streak on the Road this Weekend - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Omaha Lancers News & Notes - Week 17 - Omaha Lancers
- Ice Brothers Commit to College - Indiana Ice
- Youngstown Phantoms Notebook: Week No. 17 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Central Scouting Likes Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.