Cedeno, Thomas Drive Hot Rods Past 'Caps
Bowling Green, KY - Mark Thomas and Julio Cedeno both knocked RBI doubles, and Hot Rods' pitchers hurled a three-hitter as the Hot Rods beat the Fort Wayne TinCaps 4-1 Monday night.
After a scoreless first by starting pitcher Merrill Kelly, the Hot Rods struck for a pair in the bottom half of the frame. With one out, Ty Morrison stole second base before advancing to third when Brett Nommensen reached on an error. That brought up Mark Thomas, who smoked a double to the base of the center field wall to plate both runners for a 2-0 Hot Rods lead.
After the TinCaps grabbed a run in the third, the Hot Rods picked up another in their half of the inning. Morrison and Nommensen both reached to begin the inning. With Thomas batting, Morrison was caught stealing at third for the first out of the frame. Nommensen advanced to second on the failed steal before watching Thomas strike out. Julio Cedeno followed and came through with a clutch hit, lacing a double to the gap in left-center to score Nommensen and bump the Hot Rods lead back to two runs at 3-1.
Kelly left the game after four for Bowling Green, making his first start in a Hot Rods uniform. While he didn't pitch long enough to earn the win, he pitched very well, allowing one run on just a pair of hits, three walks, and two strikeouts.
Jason McEachern took over for Kelly in the fifth, working an inning-plus before leaving with two runners on in the sixth inning. He gave way to Alex Koronis, who worked out of the jam in the sixth before throwing a scoreless seventh as well.
Scott Shuman took over in the eighth inning, retiring the side in order. After the Hot Rods picked up another sacrifice fly from Burt Reynolds in the bottom of the eighth, Shuman closed the game down in the ninth for his 14th save of the season.
Thomas led the offense with a pair of hits, including his first inning double to break a scoreless game. Cedeno also had a pair of hits, driving in his 20th run in the month of August.
The Hot Rods have now won the season series with Fort Wayne, taking 14 of their first 26 games. They'll meet for the final time in the regular season home finale on Tuesday night. First pitch is at 6:35 PM.
In the 2010 home finale tomorrow night, RHP Yorman Mayora (1-1, 4.35) makes another spot start for Bowling Green, as he faces Fort Wayne LHP Josh Spence (2-1, 3.75). You can listen to the game on the radio with Tom Gauthier and Hank Fuerst beginning at 6:20 PM on 1340 WBGN and www.bghotrods.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2010
- Bees Strand 15 in Loss to Beloit - Burlington Bees
- Plenty of Walks in Snappers Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Stanton Wins 12th to Keep Kings' Edge - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Fall Behind Early, Lose To Clinton 7-2 - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Come from Behind to Take Down Kernels 4-3 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons' Seven-Run 9th Devastates Lugnuts, 9-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Feeney Sets Record as 'Caps Keep Charging - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cedeno, Thomas Drive Hot Rods Past 'Caps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Biggest 9th Inning of 2010 Lifts Dragons to Comeback Win - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps stifled in 4-1 loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Playoff Chances Erased After Fifth Straight Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nestor Molina Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Crush Rattlers Comeback - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Catricala Wins Midwest League Player of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Hang On to Edge Rattlers - Kane County Cougars
- September 1-6 Preview: Final Homestand of '10 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for Monday, August 30, 2010 - Dayton Dragons
- Bryant George arrives from Orem; Matt Oye to Rancho - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Add Ramirez from Boise for Playoff Push - Peoria Chiefs
- Odorizzi Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rattlers Host Three Bang For Your Buck Nights To Wrap Up Home Schedule - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.