CCL: Galaxy, Dynamo join SJ, SKC in 2013-14 tournament
A berth in MLS Cup wasn't the only prize up for grabs in Sunday's MLS Conference Championships. In addition to a place in the title game, series wins for the LA Galaxy and Houston Dynamo sealed spots for both teams in the 2013-14 CONCACAF Champions League.
The US sends four teams "" the MLS Cup winners and runners-up, Supporters' Shield winners and US Open Cup winners "" to the tournament since it expanded to 24 teams for the 2008-09 edition. The Galaxy and Dynamo (MLS Cup 2012 finalists) will join the San Jose Earthquakes (2012 Supporters' Shield winners) and Sporting Kansas City (2012 US Open Cup winners) in next year's tournament.
Canada will also have the opportunity to send a representative, with the winner of the 2013 Canadian Championship "" disputed between Canada's three MLS teams and NASL side FC Edmonton "" qualifying to the 2013-14 CCL.
For the Galaxy, the 2013-14 edition will mark their fourth consecutive appearance in the tournament. And though no MLS team has won a CCL title, the Galaxy are one of two MLS teams to have triumphed in the old CONCACAF Champions' Cup.
Houston's appearance in the tournament will be their fourth since the creation of the CCL. They, along with the Galaxy and defeated Western Conference finalists Seattle Sounders, have already booked their places in the quarterfinals of the 2012-13 edition.
San Jose and Sporting will both be making their debuts in the CCL next year, although both sides previously played in the CONCACAF Champions' Cup.
Major League Soccer Stories from November 20, 2012
- Arena, Teammates Laud Beckham - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Pair of Early Signings Gives Revs Offseason Jumpstart - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Goalkeeper Chris Seitz Named MLS W.O.R.K.S. Humanitarian of the Year - MLS
- D.C. United Reserve Match against Toronto FC Cancelled - D.C. United
- Sady Gets to Make His Case - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Signs Defender Dejan Jakovic to New Contract - D.C. United
- Maxime Crépeau and Zakaria Messoudi Join Canada - Montreal Impact
- Sporting Kansas City's Matt Besler Wins Defender of the Year - MLS
- Matt Besler Named MLS Defender of the Year - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Promotes Marco Ferruzzi to First Assistant Coach - FC Dallas
- CCL: Galaxy, Dynamo join SJ, SKC in 2013-14 tournament - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.