Carson's 5 RBI Help Trenton Defeat New Britain 7-5 Sunday Afternoon
(Trenton, NJ)- RF Matt Carson had four hits, including a three-run home run, as the Thunder defeated the New Britain Rock Cats on Sunday afternoon at Waterfront Park 7-5 in the final game of the four-game series. Trenton has won six of eight games against the Rock Cats this season.
Trenton (15-10) would score three runs in the 1st inning for the third straight game. After CF Austin Jackson and LF Kevin Russo singled with one out, RF Matt Carson uncorked a three-run home run off of New Britain starting pitcher Jay Rainville (1-3) to give the Thunder a 3-0 lead. Trenton would tack on two runs in the 2nd inning on an RBI single by Russo and and RBI triple by Carson to increase the lead to 5-0. Jackson, Russo and Carson (two through four hitters) combined to go 10 x 14 with 7 R and 6 RBI. Carson tied his career-high of 5 RBI and extended his hitting streak to 14 games. He now leads the EL in RBI with 25.
Thunder starting pitcher Jason Jones (4-0) went 6 IP to pick up his fourth win of the season. All four runs that he allowed on Sunday came with two outs in an inning. He allowed a solo home run in the 4th inning by New Britain RF David Winfree that cut Trenton's lead to 5-1. The Rock Cats scored three runs in the top of the 6th inning on an RBI single by Winfree and a two-run single by 3B Trevor Plouffe to cut the lead to 6-4. Jones ended the inning by retiring 2B Felix Molina on a fly-out. Jones gave up 6 H and 4 ER. He struck out 4 and walked 2.
The Thunder added an insurance run in the bottom of the 6th inning on an RBI single by 1B Cody Ehlers. Reliever J.B. Cox would toss two scoreless innings of relief following Jones, in his first action with the Thunder since 2006. RHP Eric Wordekemper worked the ninth and earned his fourth save of the season.
Trenton has an off-day on Monday, but will return to action on Tuesday night against the Connecticut Defenders, the Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, in Norwich, CT. Game time is set for 6:35 p.m. LHP Chase Wright (3-1, 3.34) will start for Trenton against Connecticut RHP Joey Martinez (0-3, 2.95).
Eastern League Stories from April 27, 2008
- Senators Take Frustrating 4-2 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- B-Mets Blanked - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fisher Cats Scratch Baysox Late, Split Series - Bowie Baysox
- Underdog Clearfield wins 2008 Curve Classic Championship - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Hold Off Senators 4-2, Split Series - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Come From Behind To Defeat Baysox, 3-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Carson's 5 RBI Help Trenton Defeat New Britain 7-5 Sunday Afternoon - Trenton Thunder
- 'Wolves Win Thriller - Erie SeaWolves
- Road Strugglies Continue For Defenders - Connecticut Defenders
- Sea Dogs Complete The Series Win, Beat The Mets 3-0! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron Aeros Game Notes 4/27/08 - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.