Carrera, Hubbard Named to SL North All-Star Team
JACKSON, TENN. (JUNE 29, 2009) - Diamond Jaxx players, Marshall Hubbard and Ezequiel Carrera have been named to the North Division All-Star team, the Southern League announced this afternoon. Hubbard was selected as a designated hitter and Carrera as an outfielder. They will be managed by Jaxx manager Phil Plantier and the entire Jaxx staff in Birmingham. Players were selected by a vote of Southern League field managers, radio broadcasters, general managers and print media. All players on Southern League rosters as of June 10 were eligible in the voting.
INF Marshall Hubbard will be making his second consecutive trip to the mid-season Southern League All-Star Game. Hubbard made the trip to Zebulon, NC a year ago. Hubbard was named the Southern League Hitter of the Week on June 14-18th. The 27 year old Ashland, VA native and former UNC Tar Heel is hitting .282 with 10 HR, 13 doubles and 38 RBI. Hubbard is leading the team with 69 hits, 39 runs scored, 42 walks, 71 games played and a .457 slugging percentage.
OF Ezequiel Carrera is making his first trip to the Southern League All-Star game and leads the league in batting average (.354) and on-base percentage (.473). The 22 year old from Guiria, Venezuela was placed on the DL on May 26th and missed 24 games. Carrera is second on the team with 16 stolen bases. Carrera is 56-for-164 at the plate with 1 HR and 22 RBI. Carrera has scored 38 runs and drawn 37 walks. Carrera is in his first season with the Seattle Mariners organization and has proved to be a versatile commodity, playing all three outfield positions. Carrera has primarily been the Jaxx leadoff man, batting at the top of the order 36 times and hitting second 9 times.
The complete Southern League, North Division All-Star Team is attached. The South Division team will be announced tomorrow.
The Southern League All-Star game will be played at Regions Park in Birmingham, AL on Monday, July 13th.
Southern League Stories from June 29, 2009
- Jaxx walk off Braves in 13th inning - Jackson Generals
- Smokies land six on Southern League All-Star roster - Tennessee Smokies
- Coleman, Wright lead Smokies to 7-2 win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears hold off Barons to even series - Mobile BayBears
- Barons fall just short, 6-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Mudcats Edge Chattanooga, 7-6 - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats defeat Chattanooga, 7-6 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies top Stars for first time in nine tries - Huntsville Stars
- Otterness Assigned to Roster - Carolina Mudcats
- Jones Activated from DL - Huntsville Stars
- North Division All-Star Rosters Announced - Birmingham Barons
- Schlereth to DL, Rumler Promoted - Mobile BayBears
- Carrera, Hubbard Named to SL North All-Star Team - Jackson Generals
- Six Mudcats Named To All-Star Team - Carolina Mudcats
- Southern League Announces 2009 North Division All-Star Roster - SL
- Suns Even Series with Monday Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Suns Win a Wild One to Even Series, 6-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Celebrate July 4th with the Biscuits! - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bryan Petersen Named Southern League Hitter of the Week - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Reynoso Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Southern League Names Hitter, Pitcher of the Week Honors - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.