Cards Top Travs 6-3
North Little Rock, AR-The Springfield Cardinals took the opener of a four game series from the Arkansas Travelers 6-3 on Thursday night in front of 5,078 at Dickey-Stephens Park.
Springfield scored in every odd number inning capped by two runs in the 9th. Those two runs pushed the Cards' lead back to three after the Travs had pulled within a run in the 7th.
Arkansas' first run of the night came a Justin Seager RBI double in the 2nd inning and tied the game 1-1. In the seventh, the Travs loaded the bases and scored on Chuck Taylor's hit by pitch with the bases loaded and then on Tyler Marlette's infield hit. Unfortunately, the Travs couldn't add any more, leaving the bases loaded, and still trailing by a run.
The Cardinals offense was paced by Nick Martini and Adolis Garcia. Martini was 2-3 with two doubles, two walks and three runs batted in. While Garcia went 3-4 with two doubles, a homerun and two runs driven in.
Dylan Unsworth (0-1) made his first start of the season in Double-A and battled through five innings allowing three runs on five hits with two walks and six strikeouts but was tagged with the loss. Springfield starter Austin Gomber (1-1) pitched six strong innings for the win with Pedro Echemendia tossing a perfect ninth for his first save of the season.
The Travs and Cards meet again on Friday night at 7:10. Mariners shortstop and former Trav Jean Segura is expected to begin a Major League rehab assignment with Arkansas tomorrow night. On the mound, right-hander Tyler Herb (0-1, 5.06) starts for Arkansas against righty Dakota Hudson (1-0, 2.31) with a postgame fireworks show afterwards. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
Texas League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Drillers Game Rained out in Springdale - Tulsa Drillers
- Riders Roster Update: April 21 - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Game against the Tulsa Drillers on April 21 has Been Postponed - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Fall in Opener to Missions, 9-5 - Midland RockHounds
- Hooks Rally for Extra-Inning Victory - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Cardinals Win Third Straight with 6-3 Victory in Arkansas - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Outlasted by Hooks in Extras - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cards Top Travs 6-3 - Arkansas Travelers
- Offense Comes Alive to Beat Hounds 9-5 - San Antonio Missions
- Naturals Claim Series Opener over Drillers - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Suffer Narrow Loss in Road Trip Opener - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.