Captains Fall 1-0
(GENEVA, ILL) - An RBI double by the Cougars Danny Mateo provided the only offense of the game on Sunday afternoon from Fifth Third Bank Ballpark. It was scoreless in the bottom of the seventh and with one out Lane Adams drew a walk from Captains pitcher Mason Radeke (1-1, 2.45). The next hitter Mateo, lined a double down the line to right field and Adams was able to score easily from first making the score 1-0 Cougars.
The Captains now fall to 4-13 on the season. The Captains are also now 1-9 on the seaon when they score under five runs and 0-8 when the opposing team scores first. The Captains are 0-2 on Sundays in 2012. The Captains fall to 0-6 when they are out hit in a ballgame.
Captains starter Elvis Araujo (0-0, 2.25) didn't get a decision. Araujo, pitched five innings and allowed just five hits and struck out four and walked three. Mason Radeke (1-1, 2.45) took the loss after surrendering the only run of the ball game. He pitched two innings and allowed one other hit and walked one and struck out two. Kyle Blair also pitched for the Captains, he pitched a scoreless ninth and struck out one.
The Cougars starting pitcher Edwin Carl (0-3, 1.77) pitched seven innings and earned the win. Carl also gave up just five hits, walking just one and fanning three. Nick Graffeo got the save his forth after pitching the final two innings and allowing one hit and two walks.
The Captains stay on the road to take on the Kane County Cougars. Game two of the three game series will be Monday April 23 with the first pitch scheduled at 1:00pm. The Captains will send RHP Will Roberts (1-1, 1.93) to the mound. He will face off against the Cougars RHP Kellen Moen (0-1 6.60). Last season, the Captains played Kane County in Eastlake. The Cougars will host the 2012 All-Star game at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on June 19, 2012.
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 22, 2012
- Malm's Walk-Off Lifts Hot Rods to Another Comeback - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Can"t Hold Ninth-Inning Lead, Lose on Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels shut out Dayton, 2-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Drop TinCaps 7-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Beat Loons in Shutout - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Fall 2-0 in Series Opener Vs. Cedar Rapids - Dayton Dragons
- Hawks Come Back to Edge Rattlers in Extras - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs shut out Lugs, 2-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Shutout Lansing 2-0 Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- South Bend comes back to snap Rattlers win streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Captains Fall 1-0 - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Clip Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels topple Hot Rods in 11 innings, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Receive Pitcher Brooks Pinckard From Bakersfield - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for April 22 - Dayton Dragons
- Kane County Cougar from '09 Makes MLB Debut - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Lose Rubber Match to Lansing 4-21-12 - Burlington Bees
- Malm Drives in a Pair in Extra-Inning Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.