Capitals Recall Braden Holtby
ARLINGTON, Va. - The Washington Capitals have recalled goaltender Braden Holtby from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.
Holtby, who made 19 saves in relieve of Semyon Varlamov to collect his first NHL preseason win against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sept. 22, posted a 24-8-2 record with a 2.32 goals against average and a .917 save percentage in 37 games with the Bears last season. He led the team in wins and was ranked fourth in the AHL, first among rookies, in goals against average. The 6'2", 205 pound goaltender also played in 12 games for South Carolina (ECHL), collecting a 7-2-3 record with a 2.95 goals against average and .911 save percentage.
The Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, native was the Capitals' fourth-round choice, 93rd overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He played 61 games for Saskatoon in the Western Hockey League during the 2008-09 season, posting a 40-16-4 record, with a 2.62 GAA and a .910 save percentage. His 40 wins ranked second in the league while his six shutouts tied for third. He was named the WHL's Eastern Conference Goaltender of the Year and was a finalist for the WHL Goaltender of the Year. Holtby joined Hershey at the end of the Blades' season and was a backup for one game in the Bears' Calder Cup run.
American Hockey League Stories from September 29, 2010
- Wolf Pack Open Preseason with 3-0 Win - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Open Preseason with 5-3 Win Over Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Rockford's Comeback Falls Short Against Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Worcester Sharks Drop Exhibition Opener to Bruins - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Open Preseason with 4-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack 3-0 in Pre-Season Outing - Albany Devils
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Buffalo Sabres Trim Camp Roster by 14 Players - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Will Shake Things up Throughout October - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Announces Presenting Sponsors - San Antonio Rampage
- Hurricanes Assign Boychuk to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Unveil Third Jersey for 2010-11 - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Braden Holtby - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Cancel Saturday Pre-Season Game - Portland Pirates
- Griffins Welcome Nine Players from Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Columbus Assigns Nine Players to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Bruins Receive Six from Boston - Providence Bruins
- Devils Reduce Training Camp Roster to 29 - Albany Devils
- Crunch Release Three Players - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Announce 2010-11 Training Camp Roster - Binghamton Senators
- Ottawa Senators Reduce Training Camp Roster by 16 Players - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Edge Penguins in Shootout, 7-6 - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Drop Preseason Opener to Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.