'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany
RALEIGH, NC-Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled goaltender Justin Peters and forward Zach Boychuk from the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League (AHL).
In a separate move, the River Rats announced that goaltender Tyler Sims has been signed to a Professional Tryout Contract.
Peters, 23, has been recalled to the NHL five times in his career, though he has yet to see action in an NHL game. He is 18-13-2 with a 2.55 goals-against average and a.916 save percentage in 34 AHL games for Albany this season. The Blythe, Ont., native played in the 2010 AHL All-Star Classic on Jan. 19, stopping nine of 11 shots during the second period of a 10-9 Canadian AHL All-Stars victory. The Hurricanes' second-round selection, 38th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Peters is 54-64-6 with a 2.87 goals-against average in 135 career AHL games with the River Rats.
This marks the fourth NHL recall of 2009-10 for Boychuk, 20, who has earned one assist in nine games this season with the Hurricanes. The Airdrie, Alb., native ranks second among River Rat skaters with 27 points and 12 goals. Drafted in the first round, 14th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Boychuk totaled 110 goals and 161 assists (271 points) in 237 career Western Hockey League (WHL) games for Lethbridge.
Sims, 24, joins the River Rats after posting a 2.47 GAA with a 0.908 save percentage in six games with the Elmira Jackals of the ECHL. The West Berlin, Germany, native is in his third professional season. Sims (6'0", 190 lbs.) had a four year NCAA career at Providence College from 2004-08.
The River Rats travel to Binghamton today for a 7:05 p.m. match-up with the Senators, before retuning to the Times Union Center on Saturday night for a 5:00 p.m. tilt against the Atlantic Division's Springfield Falcons, followed by the team's annual Ronald McDonald House Charity Jersey Auction. River Rats 2009-10 pro-rated season and flexible ticket packages are now on sale at the River Rats executive offices at the Times Union Center, by calling (518) 487-2244 or by logging onto www.albanyriverrats.com.
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Lake Erie Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.