Cahill Returns to Form in Aces' Shutout Win
TACOMA, WA - Trevor Cahill tossed six shutout innings and picked up his first win with the Aces as they shut out the Rainiers, 7-0, Wednesday night at Cheney Stadium.
The veteran right-hander has been pitching in the minor leagues since mid-June and turned in his best performance as he tries to work his way back into the Arizona rotation.
Cahill retired the first ten batters he faced and didn't allow a hit until the fifth inning when Stefen Romero sent a 3-2 pitch back up the middle for a single. He struck out six and yielded only two hits.
The Aces plated three runs in the third inning to break the game open. Ronny Cedeno scored from first when Tony Campana rifled a triple to deep center. Danny Dorn lifted a sacrifice fly to score Campana, then Alfredo Marte followed with a solo home run, his eighth blast of the year.
They added two more the next inning when the newcomer Cedeno ripped a two-out, two-run double down the left-field line to up the lead to 5-0. Cedeno finished the night 2-for-4 and has hits in each of his first two games with Reno.
With Cahill keeping the Rainiers offense at bay, the Aces bats kept churning. Dorn led off the fifth inning with a laser home run to right-field, his fifth long ball of the season.
Cahill got Jesus Sucre to bounce into a 6-3 double play to end the bottom of the fifth and got Ji-Man Choi to groundout to second with two runners on to end the sixth, and his night.
Campana capped the scoring in with his second hit of the night, a run-scoring single to left-field to give the Aces a 7-0 lead.
Jess Todd and Joe Paterson worked the final three innings in relief to give Reno their seventh shutout win of the season.
The series concludes Thursday night in Tacoma. Right-hander Charles Brewer (3-5, 7.28) starts for the Aces for the first time since May 18. He goes against right-hander Jordan Pries (4-5, 3.11) for the Rainiers. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Tickets for the July 4 and 5 games, including the July 5 Family Pack, are on sale now. For more information, or to purchase an Aces ticket plan, call (775) 334-4700. For up-to-date news and notes throughout the offseason, visit www.RenoAces.com, follow the club on Twitter ( @aces ) or like the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 3, 2014
- Chihuahuas beats Albuquerque - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs Lose Late Lead, Series Finale to Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Rally Comes up Short; Chihuahuas Split Series with 7-6 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Set New Eight-Day Attendance Record - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Memphis Shatters Losing Streak with 7-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Stirring Comeback Win for Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Packed House Watches Sounds Drop Series Finale, 7-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Tonight's River Cats Game Sold Out - Sacramento River Cats
- OF Hazelbaker Rejoins Isotopes, INF Arruebarrena Recalled to Los Angeles - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces, River Cats Open First Series of Year Tomorrow - Reno Aces
- Hembree and Susac Selected to All-Star Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Omaha Storm Chasers July 3rd Game Notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 3, 2014 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Game Tonight Sold out - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Daddy Daughter Date Night Saturday, July 5 - Salt Lake Bees
- Jacobs, Eitel Named PCL All-Stars - Reno Aces
- Jonathan Galvez Selected to PCL All-Star Team - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Brennan Boesch Named 2014 PCL All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Shane Peterson Elected to PCL All-Star Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Express OF Jared Hoying to Represent Express in Triple-A All-Star Game - Round Rock Express
- Sky Sox First Baseman Ben Paulsen Named to the 2014 PCL All-Star Team - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Three RedHawks Named to Triple-A All-Star Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Send Four Players to Triple-A All-Star Game - Tacoma Rainiers
- Zephyrs' Villanueva, Roe Named to All-Star Team - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Jimmy Nelson & Donovan Hand Named to PCL All-Star Team - Nashville Sounds
- Stephen Piscotty Named to PCL All-Star Team - Memphis Redbirds
- Pederson Elected to Represent PCL in 2014 Triple-A All-Star Game - Albuquerque Isotopes
- I-Cubs Get Four-Star Rating - Iowa Cubs
- Three Storm Chasers Elected to 2014 PCL All-Star Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Pacific Coast League Announces 2014 All-Star Team - PCL
- Bees Win a Slugfest in Vegas - Salt Lake Bees
- Fresno Gets Served Another Walk-Off By River Cats - Fresno Grizzlies
- Cats Walk Off For Franchise-Record 11th Time - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Fall to Reno, 7-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cahill Returns to Form in Aces' Shutout Win - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Split Doubleheader with Albuquerque - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Seventh Inning Rally Sends Sky Sox to Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nina, Sky Sox Complete Comeback, Beat RedHawks, 7-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Isotopes Split Doubleheader against Chihuahuas - Albuquerque Isotopes
- High Five: Cubs Hang on to Extend Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Make It 4 in a Row over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Picks Up 4-2 Victory In New Orleans - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.