C Federowicz Joins Isotopes, RHP Tolleson Recalled to Dodgers
C Tim Federowicz will join the Albuquerque Isotopes today, April 12 after being optioned by the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday, April 9. In a corresponding move, C Matt Wallach was sent to Double-A Chattanooga. Federowicz will wear the number 23. RHP Shawn Tolleson was also recalled by the Los Angeles Dodgers today.
The 25-year-old backstop made his first 25-man roster at the start of this season with Los Angeles. Federowicz was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 7th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft before being traded to the Dodgers in a four-player trade on July 31, 2011. Federowicz was 0-for-3 with a walk in one game with the Dodgers this season.
The former University of North Carolina catcher made his Major League debut with the Dodgers on September 11, 2011. He has a career .282 average in the minors and played a career-high 108 games behind the plate for Albuquerque in 2012, tossing out 39 percent of potential base stealers (33 of 84). Hitting .294 with 11 home runs last year with the Topes, Federowicz tied Scott Van Slyke for the team lead with 34 doubles. He ranked second on the club with 76 RBI, behind Pacific Coast League leader Jerry Sands (107).
Wallach hit .364 in three games with the Isotopes (4-for-11) and threw out two of three potential base stealers. The Orange, California native was drafted by the Dodgers in the 22nd round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft. It is his eighth season in the Dodgers organization. This will be Wallach's fourth stint with Chattanooga.
Isotopes relief pitcher Shawn Tolleson will join the Dodgers for the second time in his career. He made his Major League debut on June 7, 2012 with Los Angeles in Philadelphia. The 25-year-old Texas native posted a 3-1 record with a 4.30 ERA (18 ER/37.2 IP) in 40 appearances with the Dodgers in 2012.
Tolleson converted both of his save opportunities for Albuquerque this season. In 5.2 innings of work, he did not allowed a run. He also struck out six batters and walked two, holding opponents to a .125 batting average (2-for-16).
The Topes hit the road for the first time in 2013 and open a four-game series with the Iowa Cubs tonight at 6:05 PM from Principal Park. RHP Blake Johnson (0-0, 9.00) is slated to make his second start of the season against Iowa righty Nick Struck (0-1, 7.20). Listen to all of the action as Josh Suchon has the call on 610AM. Albuquerque returns home Saturday April, 20 for four games against division-rival Oklahoma City.
Tickets are on sale now at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through Ticketmaster by phone at (800) 745-3000, or online at www.abqisotopes.com or www.ticketmaster.com. For information, please call (505) 924-2255.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 12, 2013
- Zephyrs Win Home Opener, 3-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Zephyrs Clip Express 3-1 Behind Strong - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Four Bombs Not Enough; Lose 6-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Luis Jimenez Gets First Angels Call-Up - Salt Lake Bees
- C Federowicz Joins Isotopes, RHP Tolleson Recalled to Dodgers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Vitters Placed on Disabled List; Torres Joins Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: April 12, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Cody Ross Set to Join Aces on Major League Rehab - Reno Aces
- Mary Beth Davis Celebrates Home Run for Life Tonight - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks Play First Home Game Tonight - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Straily Pitches River Cats Past Rainiers, 5-4 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Stopped By Sacramento, 5-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Downed by Bees, 6-4 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.