Butler Baffles Drive in 1-0 Tourists Win
Asheville NC--For the third time this season, starting pitcher Eddie Butler limited the opposition to just one hit. On Monday night at McCormick Field, Butler pitched 7.1 innings against the Greenville Drive, struck out eight, and did not walk a batter in the Tourists 1-0 victory.
Asheville's right-hander has surrendered only 19 hits in 48.1 innings pitched in 2013.
Greenville's lone hit against Butler came by way of a two-out single in the third inning by Mookie Betts. The Drive managed only one additional base runner with the Tourists starting pitcher on the mound; Kevin Mager struck out and reached on a passed ball in the second. After Betts' single, Eddie retired the next 14 batters in a row before departing with one out in the eighth.
Rayan Gonzalez sat down the final two batters of the frame and Raul Fernandez came in for the ninth. The Tourists closer did allow Cody Koback to reach on a two-out double to right, but he struck out Drew Turocy to seal the win.
Asheville scored their only run in the bottom of the second inning. Matt Argyropoulos singled home Julian Yan from second after Yan reached on an error. Argyropoulos finished with two hits as did Francisco Sosa. The Tourists managed just five hits on the evening.
The shutout was Asheville's fourth of the season and first since a 3-0 win on April 25 versus the Lexington Legends; a game also started by Eddie Butler.
The Tourists continue their homestand with Game Two against the Drive on Tuesday night with the first pitch scheduled for 7:05 pm.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 13, 2013
- Morales Walk-Off HR Gives Legends 2-1 Win - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Drop 4th Straight with 9-5 Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- Hanson Outstanding, 'Claws Walk-Off for Fourth Straight - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive Offense Stumbles in 1-0 Loss to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Butler Baffles Drive in 1-0 Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Morales' Legendary with Walk-Off Home Run - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Gain Winning Record by Topping Hickory - West Virginia Power
- Lakewood Walks off with a 4-3 Win in Game One - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Augusta GreenJackets Sale Completed to Local and Regional Group - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends' Brickhouse Named SAL Pitcher of Week; Will Start Tonight's Game - Lexington Legends
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes: Kannapolis Intimidators (White Sox) at Lexington Legends (Royals) - May 13, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Mookie Betts Named South Atlantic League Player of the Week - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.