Bundy, Howard Neutralize Suns in 6-2 Win
Salisbury, Md. - Orioles top prospect Dylan Bundy tossed three scoreless innings in his home debut and relief pitcher Trent Howard kept the Suns scoreless for the next five innings in a 6-2 Shorebirds win over the Suns on Tuesday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium. The Shorebirds have held the Suns scoreless in 16 of 18 innings in the series.
The Shorebirds opened the scoring in the fourth inning. Jason Esposito recorded a one out single to increase his hit streak to six games. After a hit by pitch and a walk loaded the bases, Connor Narron lifted a sacrifice fly to left field to score Esposito.
The Shorebirds increased the lead in the fifth. Tommy Winegardner led off with a double to the wall in straight away center field. Sammie Starr was hit by a pitch. After a sacrifice bunt advanced the runners to second and third, John Ruettiger singled through the right side to stretch the lead to 4-0.
In the eighth inning, Nicky Delmonico blasted a two-run home run over the right field wall to give the Shorebirds a 6-0 lead. It was his first home run of the season and his first hit since April 9.
Dylan Bundy faced just one batter over the minimum in three hitless and scoreless innings. He struck out three and walked one. In his minor league career, Bundy has tossed nine hitless innings with 15 strikeouts and one walk.
Trent Howard entered in the fourth inning and tossed five scoreless to pick up his first win of the season. He allowed just four hits. The five inning outing was the longest relief appearance of the season by a Shorebirds pitcher.
The Suns picked up two runs in the ninth and sent eight batters to the plate before Jose Nivar struck out pinch hitter Justin Miller with the bases loaded to end the game.
The Shorebirds and Suns end the homestand on Wednesday, April 18 at 7:05 pm. LHP Tim Berry is the scheduled starter for the Shorebirds.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 17, 2012
- Tourists Provide Entertaining Encore; Win 12-7 - Asheville Tourists
- Greenville Builds Early Leads, Wins 10-6 Over Legends - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Outlast GreenJackets 7-3 in 11 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bundy, Howard Neutralize Suns in 6-2 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Skid Continues as GreenJackets Fall in Extras - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Prevail with the Long Ball, Defeat Legends 10-6 - Greenville Drive
- Power Squashed in Seventh - West Virginia Power
- Comeback Falls Short, 4-3, in 10 Innings - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Skole Adds to RBI Total in Suns Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Beckwith Transferred to Danville - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Race by Intimidators, 7-5 - Hickory Crawdads
- Braves Game Suspended Because of Power Failure - Rome Braves
- Four-Run 5th Propels Crawdads - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes Vs. Hagerstown - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Ross Placed on DL - Rome Braves
- Bill Lajoie to be Inducted into the Professional Baseball Scouts Hall - Charleston RiverDogs
- Charleston's Tyler Austin Named SAL Player of the Week Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Return Home for Four-Game Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs Roll Continues in Augusta with 5-1 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.