Bulls Claw Back from Three-Goal Deficit to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Reign
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - After an amazing third-period comeback, the San Francisco Bulls (17-23-1-6) concluded the season series against the Western Conference leading Ontario Reign (35-11-1-2) on a high note, coming away with a point after forcing overtime and a shootout. The Bulls ultimately were edged 4-3 in a shootout, Friday at Citizens Business Bank Arena.The Bulls were down 3-0 midway through the third period, but goals from Dean Ouellet, Jordan Morrison, and Cody Carlson stunned the Reign and took the game to overtime.
The first period was a battle of the netminders, and both San Francisco's Taylor Nelson and Ontario's Chris Carrozzi were up to the challenge. The Reign out-shot the Bulls 11-7, but were not able to get anything past Nelson, who has started and performed well in every game since 2013. Just 38 seconds into his return to the roster, Marek Viedensky was sent to the penalty box for boarding. After Alex Tuckerman's minor holding call at 7:33, Scott Langdon and Derek Couture dropped the gloves behind the Bulls net. The Bulls were 2-for-2 on the penalty kill in the first.
San Francisco came out on fire in the second, posting a flurry of shots on Carrozzi. On a break the other way, Kyle Kraemer lost the puck off his stick and managed to slide the puck past Nelson to put the Reign on the board 1-0. Kraemer's goal was assisted by C.J. Stretch and Derek Couture at 6:08. Ontario's Brady Calla was tripped up on a goal scoring opportunity and earned a penalty shot, but Nelson turned the shot away to keep the Bulls within one. The Reign out-shot the Bulls the first two periods, 17-13.
Starting off strong once again, the Bulls quickly matched the Reign for shots in the third. A two-man break away for Ontario saw Nelson stop the initial shot, but was unable to stop Kevin Estrada from tapping in the rebound. Kraemer scored his second goal of the night on another breakaway minutes later. The Bulls weren't going down easily, and Dean Ouellet cut the lead to 3-1 with his 23rd goal of the season with 8:36 remaining in regulation. Christian Ouellet picked up the loan assist on D. Ouellet's goal. Jordon Morrison poked in his 12th goal of the season to put the Bulls within reach, 3-2. Alex Tuckerman earned the assist on the goal. With 39 seconds left in the third period, Cody Carlson tied the game at 3-3 and sent the game to overtime.
Matching unsportsmanlike conduct penalties to Kris Belan and Derek Couture at the end of regulation sent both men to the box and began the overtime period 3-on-3. Neither team was able to score and the Bulls and Reign went to a shootout. Cody Carlson and Dean Ouellet scored in the shootout, but after seven rounds, the Reign came out on top. Taylor Nelson stopped 4 of 7 shots he faced.
The Bulls begin their brief two-game home-stand against the Bakersfield Condors tomorrow night. The puck drops tonight Saturday at 7:15 and 2:15 on Sunday. San Francisco will be wearing specialty San Jose Sharks-themed teal jerseys. These commemorative jerseys will be raffled and auctioned off, during and after the games. Get your tickets now at SFBulls.com.
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2013
- Third-Period Lull Costs Idaho in Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Dominate Komets, 6-1, to Take Series - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers Outlast Reign in 4-3 OT Victory - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Titans Lose in OT to Kalamazoo, 2-1 - Trenton Titans
- Six-Goal First Period Propel 'Blades to 7-3 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings' Winning Streak Grows to Four - Kalamazoo Wings
- Road Warriors' Record Crowd Watches Shootout Loss - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Gladiators Knock off IceMen 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Slow Start Dooms Orlando in 7-3 Loss to Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Snap Slide with Exhilarating 4-3 Shootout Win over Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jakaitis; Stingrays Blank Walleye 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- SF Bulls to Wear Sharks-Themed Jerseys Tonight against Bakersfield - San Francisco Bulls
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Las Vegas Wranglers - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Titans GameDay vs. Kalamazoo, February 9, 2013 - Game 49 (Home 26) - Trenton Titans
- Ryan Ginand Heads Back to Houston - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Assigned Connor Knapp, Announce Other Moves - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - February 9 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Walk the Red Carpet Tonight vs. Toledo - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 9 - ECHL
- Alaska Beats Stockton 3-1 in Weekend Opener - Alaska Aces
- Boisclair continues scoring streak, Alaska skates away in third period - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Claw Back from Three-Goal Deficit to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Reign - San Francisco Bulls
- Reign Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 Shootout Win - Ontario Reign
- Condors Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Wranglers - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Tally Sixth Win in a Row, Beat Bakersfield 4-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Idaho Outlasts Utah in Overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho Takes Wild Game in OT; Grizzlies End Trip 3-2-1-1 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.