Bullpen Battered in 7-2 Defeat
MONTGOMERY, AL - Birmingham's Josh Phegley broke a 2-2 tie with a solo homer off Jeremy Hall in the seventh, then Ryan Reid succumbed four more in the eighth as the Biscuits fell to 0-2 with a 7-2 defeat on Friday night at Riverwalk.
After the Barons scored twice on Chris Archer in the second, the Biscuits used a two-out throwing error to plate their first two runs of the season and tie the game at 2-2. It'd stay that way until Phegley's homer in the seventh.
Seth Loman made it 4-2 with a solo shot on the second pitch of Ryan Reid's outing, then Kenny Williams followed a pair of singles with a long three-run homer to make it 7-2 in the eighth inning.
Archer went 4.0 innings, allowing a pair of runs on six hits while fanning three and walking three. Jake Peavy, who was making a rehab start for the Barons, allowed two unearned runs in his 3.2 innings of work, striking out four and walking one. The win went to Matt Zaleski (0-1), who allowed only two hits while pitching the final 5.1 of the game. Hall (0-1) suffered the loss.
Paul Phillips tossed 1.2 innings of perfect relief for the Biscuits, striking out three.
Offensively, Tim Beckham led the Biscuits by going 2-4 with a run scored. In the starting nine used on each of the first to nights, John Shelby is the only Biscuit yet to log a hit.
RHP Joe Cruz will look to propel the Biscuits to their first win of 2011 on Saturday night against Birmingham LHP Charlie Leesman. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 with a MAX Fireworks Spectacular to follow.
Southern League Stories from April 8, 2011
- Mississippi Braves Fall to Jackson Generals in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Seager, Shaffer Lead Generals To First Win - Jackson Generals
- Bullpen Battered in 7-2 Defeat - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Drop Game 2 - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Walk-Off a Winner over Stars 5-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stars Comeback Falls Short, Suns 5 - Stars 4 - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Get 15 Hits, Down Lookouts 6-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Vitters Leads Smokies to 6-3 Victory over Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mobile gets past Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Jose Yepez to Triple-A Tacoma and Ralph Henriquez to Double-A Jackson - Jackson Generals
- Kennelly Heads up, Query Joins M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.