Buddle Scores, Irwin Keeps Clean Sheet as Rapids Top Toronto
COMMERCE CITY, CO - Edson Buddle scored his first goal in a Rapids uniform and Clint Irwin earned his third shutout of 2013 as Colorado topped Toronto FC 1-0 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Saturday night.
After controlling the majority of possession and having several opportunities, it wasn't until the 86th minute that the Rapids found the back of the net. Toronto FC defender Logan Emory slipped while trying to clear a cross inside his own six yard box, allowing Buddle to hammer home the game-winner from close range for his first of the season. Clint Irwin made four saves as he continued the stellar start to his MLS career.
The Rapids take to the road for their next two matches, facing the Columbus Crew on May 11 and the San Jose Earthquakes on May 18 with both games broadcast live on Altitude by Rapids play-by-play man Richard Fleming and former U.S. National Team star Marcelo Balboa. The Rapids return home on May 25 to face Chivas USA at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. For more information on the team, or to purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 4, 2013
- 'Caps unable to mount another comeback - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Buddle Scores, Irwin Keeps Clean Sheet as Rapids Top Toronto - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Reserves Top Red Bulls 2-0 - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo to Begin Bicoastal Road Trip Sunday Night against LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo
- Reserves Top Red Bulls 2-0 - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Fall to Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw 2-2 with Seattle Sounders - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls Move into First Place in the East with 1-0 Win over Columbus - New York Red Bulls
- San Jose Earthquakes Rally from Two-Goal Deficit to Tie Montreal Impact - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC End with 2-2 Tie at Philadelphia - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Ties Earthquakes 2-2 in San Jose - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.