Buccaneers Blank Steel Friday
URBANDALE, IOWA - The Chicago Steel (9-4-1-2, 21 pts.) were shutout for a second consecutive game as they fell to the Des Moines Buccaneers (7-9-0-1, 15 pts.) 3-0 at Buccaneer Arena.
In a game that featured an all-around strong defensive effort from the home team, Buccaneers goaltender Ryan Snowden recorded his first career shutout, stopping all 23 shots from the Steel. Chicago netminder Justin Robbins stopped 35 of 37. The game remained a scoreless tie through the first 40 combined shots on goal. In the closing seconds of the second period, Buccaneers forward Sam Hentges fired a shot off the post. Des Moines captain Chase Ellingson found the rebound and jammed the puck past the blocker side with just 2.4 seconds remaining on the clock.
Early in the third period, Steel left wing Blake McLaughlin had a chance to tie the game, racing with the puck into the offensive zone. The University of Minnesota commit tried to send a backhanded shot home, but Snowden denied with the left pad to make his biggest save of the night. At 12:26 of the final frame, the Buccaneers added a shorthanded goal to extend their lead to 2-0. Julian Napravnik jumped on a loose puck in the bottom of the left circle after a dump-in and fired it home on the stick side for his sixth tally of the season. The shorthanded goal was the seventh the Steel have given up this season, most in the USHL.
After the Steel pulled Robbins for an extra attacker, Napravnik sealed the victory with an empty netter from his own end with under two minutes remaining. Neither team found success on the power play. Chicago finised 0-for-5 and Des Moines went 0-for-4.
United States Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2017
- U.S. Natl Sled Team Shuts out Italy, 10, at 2017 WSHC - U.S. National Team
- Storm Storylines Week 9 - Tri-City Storm
- 12-10-17 Alectrifying - Madison Capitols
- RECAP -- Stars Fall Late to the Capitols, 3-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Overcome Two-Goal Deficit But Fall in Overtime - Youngstown Phantoms
- Steel Soar to 7-3 Victory over Madison Saturday - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Top Phantoms in OT Thriller - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Streak Continues Past Sioux City - Omaha Lancers
- Postgame Recap: Force Prevail in 4-2 Contest - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 12-9-17 Men of Steel - Madison Capitols
- Riders Catch Fire, Defeat Fighting Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Keller Scores, Team USA Outshoots Canada, 28-26 - U.S. National Team
- Dugan's Overtime Winner Lifts Steel over Waterloo - Chicago Steel
- Nelson Two Goals Power Stampede to Victory in Cedar Rapids - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Lancers Top Bucs, 5-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Steel Swipe the Extra Point - Waterloo Black Hawks
- : Kraws Masterful as Fighting Saints Blanked at Home - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RECAP - Special Teams Benefits Stars in 5-1 Win - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Cap off Sweep of Madison with Shutout Victory - Tri-City Storm
- 12-2-17 Tri, Tri Again - Madison Capitols
- Storm Strengthen Home Record with 5-2 Win over Madison - Tri-City Storm
- Buccaneers Blank Steel Friday - Chicago Steel
- 12-1-17 Blixt in the Storm - Madison Capitols
- First Period Jump Leads Stars to 4-3 Win - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Win Streak Ends in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Guttman Buries Winning Tally as Saints Beat Riders - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lancers Defeat Stampede, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Phantoms Shut out U17's - Youngstown Phantoms
- Klee, Blumel Ride to the Rescue - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.