Bruton, Shields Re-Assigned to Aces
The defending Kelly Cup Champion Alaska Aces have been assigned rookie forward, Chris Bruton and rookie defenseman, David Shields from the Peoria Rivermen of the American Hockey League. Bruton joins the club in time for Wednesday night's Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals in Stockton. Shields is expected to join the team later in the series. The Aces and the Stockton Thunder are currently tied 1-1 in their best-of-seven series with three games scheduled at Stockton Arena this week. For more information, please call the Aces at 907.258.ACES or visit them online at www.facebook.com/alaskaaceshockey.
Bruton, 25, had 13 points (6g, 7a) and 60 penalty minutes in 27 Aces games this season. After starting the season with Alaska, the first-year forward received two separate call-ups to Peoria. He made his AHL debut in mid-December with a three-game call up, and then returned to the AHL later that month, where he stayed for the remainder of the year after signing with the Rivermen. At the time of his departure from the Aces, Bruton led the club with 60 penalty minutes, and was second among ECHL rookies, as were his eight major penalties. Bruton joined the Aces this season following a three-year collegiate career at Acadia University. He was better than a point per game player for the Axemen, combining for 74 points (34g, 40a) in 69 contests. The 5"11", 205 lbs. Bruton also threw his weight around in college chipping in 118 penalty minutes. Before entering college, Bruton captained the Spokane Chiefs to a Memorial Cup Championship in 2008. That season he finished third in team scoring and second in penalty minutes. It was the perfect culmination of a solid WHL career for Bruton who had 63 points (26g, 37a) in 67 games that season.
Shields, 21, is under contract with the St. Louis Blues, and was assigned to Alaska just before the start of the regular season. He appeared in 12 games for the Aces, totaling 6 points (1g, 5a). He scored his first pro goal in his second game of the season with Alaska. This season in the AHL, Shields played 48 games for the Rivermen, posting four assists and ten penalty minutes. He played the last four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) with the Erie Otters. The 6'3", 218 lbs. blue liner was selected by St. Louis in the sixth round (168th overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. In his time with Erie, the Rochester, NY native played 250 games totaling 67 points (15g, 52a). Last season he contributed a career high 27 points (6g, 21a) in 61 games, and added five points (g, 4a) in seven post-season games.
In additional roster moves, the Aces earlier this week placed defensemen Danny Markowitz and Brock Shelgren on reserve.
The Western Conference Semifinals series between the Aces and the Stockton Thunder is tied at 1-1, and this week shifts to California for the next three games. Game 3 is Wednesday night at Stockton Arena at 6:00pm AKT and can be seen live throughout Alaska on GCI Cable Channel 1. For more information, please call the Aces at 907.258.ACES or visit them online at www.facebook.com/alaskaaceshockey.
ECHL Stories from April 18, 2012
- Everblades Shutout Jackals 2-0 in Game 4 - Florida Everblades
- Jackals Shut out by Everblades in Game 4 - Elmira Jackals
- K-Wings Shutout Stingrays - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Shutout Stingrays in Game Three - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bruton, Shields Re-Assigned to Aces - Alaska Aces
- Watch Aces Playoff Games on GCI Cable - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - April 18 - ECHL
- Wranglers up 2-0 in Western Conference Semifinals Series - Las Vegas Wranglers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Everblades Receive Shugg from Charlotte; Sign Goaltender Venti to ATO - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder (#5) Vs. Alaska Aces (#1) - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Season Review Pt. II: Condors Eclipse $4.3 Million Mark - Bakersfield Condors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Return to Coliseum for Game Three Against Wings - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira at Florida - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - April 18 - ECHL
- Wranglers Take Game Two with 3-2 Overtime Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Wranglers Edge Steelheads in Overtime - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.