Bruins Extend Streak to Five
Worcester, MA -- The Providence Bruins defeated the Worcester Sharks 2-0 in this evening at the DCU Center. Craig Cunningham scored his 10th goal of the season and Kyle MacKinnon added an empty net goal with 12 seconds to play to give the Bruins their fifth straight win. Niklas Svedberg posted 26 saves in the win as the Bruins improve to 24-16-0-3 on the season.
Just 2:33 into the opening frame, Torey Krug fed Cunningham through traffic in front on Worcester's net. Cunningham ripped a wrist shot top shelf past Alex Stalock for his 10th goal of the season. Cunningham has five points in the last five games on three goals and two assists. Krug is also on a five-game point streak, tallying nine points on three goals and six assists. Carter Camper also assisted on the play. After the Bruins set the tone on the scoreboard, the team exchanged some pleasantries and punches with their Route 146 rival, whom they face 12 times this season. Bobby Robins, the league leader in major penalties, squared off with Matt Pelech. After a quick bout, both headed to the sin bin for five minutes. However, Robins wasn't done as less than six minutes later, Robins dropped the mitts with James Livingston.
The fighting continued in the second period. Immediately after the puck dropped, Tyler Randell and Curt Gogol dropped the gloves. In a quick decision, Randell destroyed Gogol, connecting on at least three right hooks. The Sharks stepped up their energy in the second frame, getting some quality chances in front of Svedberg, but the Swede was a brick wall. Despite having two power play opportunities, the Sharks' power play, (15.9%; 19th in the AHL), was no match for the Bruins penalty kill unit (82.6% - 18th in the AHL).
The Bruins were held strong defensively in the third period, foiling all of the Sharks' attempts in front of Svedberg. Despite being out shot 12-8 in the third period, including multiple chances in the final two minutes, the Bruins held strong and forced the Sharks to make mistakes. Good pressure from Christian Hanson forced a turnover at the Bruins blue line. Despite being taken down on his rush to the Sharks open net, MacKinnon picked up the loose puck for the easy empty net goal to give the Bruins the 2-0 win, their fifth win in a row and first in regulation against the Sharks. Camper also assisted on the play, picking up his second helper of the night and his seventh assist in five games. The win also marked the sixth straight loss for Worcester at the DCU Center.
After a rare Sunday off, the Providence Bruins return to action on Friday, February 8 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. versus the Portland Pirates for Tote Bag Night. The first 2,000 fans in attendance will receive a free tote bag courtesy of Uncle Bob's Self Storage.
Providence Bruins ticket packages are on sale now for the 2012-13 season. To purchase tickets of for more information, call the P-Bruins ticket office at 401-273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com .
American Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Cundari Powers Rivermen Past Wolves - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Struggle against Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Brock Nelson's first pro hat trick propels Sound Tigers to 4-1 victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons edge Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Struggles against Peoria Continue, Fall 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Petr Mrazek Earns First Pro Shutout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Shut Out 1-0 in Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- Hershey Leaves Bitter Taste with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Grind out Goalie-Duel Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fall Short 2-0 in Front of 7,966 - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Down Phantoms for Fifth Straight Home Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Quiet Whale - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Draw Second-Largest Crowd in Franchise History - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers Claw Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Shut out by Pirates - Albany Devils
- Bears Fire Away, Defeat Monarchs - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Extend Streak to Five - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Blank Senators to Sweep Series - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Fall to IceCaps, 1-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Downs Hamilton 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Defeat Bulldogs 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Dallas Recalls Reilly Smith from Texas - Texas Stars
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Connecticut, Game #44 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Reiter - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.