Britton and Cecchini lead Portland to 7-0 win over Trenton
(Portland, Maine) - Garin Cecchini went 3-for-4 with his first Double-A homer and Drake Britton (7-6) fired seven scoreless frames, leading the Sea Dogs (44-38) to a 7-0 win over the Trenton Thunder (41-43) on Wednesday night at Hadlock Field. Portland swept the three-game set over two days, and extended their winning streak to six.
Britton scattered seven hits on three walks and fanned three, beating Trenton for the second time in six career starts. The lefty induced four double plays and allowed only two fly outs.
With Portland leading 1-0 in the third, Cecchini blasted a two-run homer into the Portland bullpen off losing pitcher Zach Nuding
(2-10). The 'Dogs added three runs in the fourth inning on four consecutive singles. Heiker Meneses drove in his 24th run with a single to left field. Cecchini capped off his best game in Double-A, blooping a run-scoring single to left.
Nuding suffered his third loss to Portland, giving up 10 hits and six runs (five earned) over 4 IP.
Christian Vazquez knocked in the final run with a wall-ball double in the sixth. Shannon Wilkerson finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a stolen base.
Miguel Celestino closed out the win with two scoreless frames, recording two strikeouts.
Portland earned their 8th team shutout, and picked up their first sweep at Hadlock Field since August 12-14, 2012 against the Altoona Curve. The Sea Dogs hold a four-game lead over Trenton for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Division.
Prime Motor Group Player of the Game: Drake Britton
The Sea Dogs open up a five-game series with the New Britain Rock Cats (Twins affiliate) on Thursday night beginning at 6:00 from Hadlock Field. Knuckleballer Charlie Haeger (4-4, 3.78) battles Right-hander Trevor May (6-5, 3.84).
Radio coverage begins at 5:40 PM on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network and via the Tune-In Radio app for smartphones and tablets.
Thursday is Fireworks night to celebrate July 4th at Hadlock Field. Tickets are available by calling 207-879-9500 or at seadogs.com.
Eastern League Stories from July 3, 2013
- Squirrels Break Away Late to Salvage Finale, 7-4 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Goodwin and Souza Go Back-To-Back in 5-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Packer Twirls Another Gem, Gets Help from Pen in 3-1 Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Britton and Cecchini lead Portland to 7-0 win over Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Three-Run Seventh Leads Curve by B-Mets in Finale - Altoona Curve
- Nolin Shuts Down Rock Cats in 6-1 Victory - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Thunder Shutout in Portland to Finish Rough Trip - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Put Baysox to Sleep - Bowie Baysox
- Rock Cats Clawed by New Hampshire; Lose 6-1 - New Britain Rock Cats
- McCormick Added to Eastern League All-Stars - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Three More Added to Western Division Roster - EL
- Altoona Curve Game Information: July 3, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs vs. Thunder - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Adams, Murata, and McCormick Added to All-Star Game - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves vs. Senators - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Erie SeaWolves
- Additional All-Star Roster Changes Announced - EL
- Seth Rosin Added to Eastern League All-Star Team - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Players Named to All-Star Team - Altoona Curve
- Matt Spring Added to Eastern League All-Star Roster - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets vs. Curve - Game Notes - July 3, 2013 - Binghamton Mets
- Biggest Fireworks Show & McCutchen Bobbles just a sliver of Upcoming Homestand - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.