Brett Lawrie Helps World Win Futures Game
GRAND CHUTE, WI - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers second baseman Brett Lawrie stepped to the plate in the top of the seventh inning for the World team at the XM Futures Game with his side down 5-3. Lawrie doubled to lead off the frame and scored in the last-inning rally for the World in a 7-5 win at Busch Stadium on Sunday.
The game, which had a rain delay of over four hours, was shortened to seven innings from a scheduled nine.
The top of the first inning featured action for three players with ties to the Timber Rattlers. Chris Tillman, a pitcher for the Timber Rattlers in 2007, was the starting pitcher for the team of United States prospects. After a leadoff single and a grounder, Tillman faced Italian third baseman Alex Liddi. Tillman and Liddi were teammates on the 2007 squad.
Liddi, who also played for the Timber Rattlers in the 2006 and 2008 seasons, drew a walk in the first inning and would eventually score in the frame. Lawrie would ground out for the final out of the top of the first inning at 1:22pm local time. Then, the rain hit St. Louis and the game did not restart until 5:30pm.
When the game resumed, Tillman had left the game after allowing two runs on two hits with a walk over an inning.
Liddi would walk again in the third inning before flying out to right to end the top of the fifth inning. He was 0-for-1 with a run in the game.
Lawrie flew out to left in the fourth inning, but his final at bat sparked the rally. The first round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2008 Major League Draft doubled to left against former Cedar Rapids Kernels pitcher Trevor Reckling. Lawrie moved to third on an infield single and scored on a wild pitch by Reckling.
The World team would score three more times in the top of the seventh to take the lead. JC Sulbaran, a pitcher for the Dayton Dragons, worked around two walks in the bottom of the seventh for the win.
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2009
- Fort Wayne Alums Produce in Futures Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Come Back But Can't Hold On - Burlington Bees
- QC Falls Behind Early, Yields 18 Hits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Win Slugfest with Dragons, 11-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Brett Lawrie Helps World Win Futures Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Breakout in Beliot - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Get Back to Winning Ways With 8-4 Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Lose 8-4 Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Bounce Back on Snappers - Beloit Snappers
- Wiley's Big Day Not Enough For Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- House, Lugnuts Swat Bees, 6-5 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Capra Dominates Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Capra, Cougars Stifle Loons - Kane County Cougars
- Kemp Hits, Merklinger Pitches, Rattlers Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Walks Haunt Hawks in 5-1 Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.