Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - Trailing 2-0 entering the final period of regulation, the Bakersfield Condors (13-29-2-2, 30pts) refused to give in and with overtime heroics from C Peter Boyd defeated the Kalamazoo Wings (19-19-4-1, 43pts) 3-2 in overtime on Sunday afternoon at Wings Stadium.
Bakersfield compiled a few chances early in the first period, including a three-on-one opportunity, but Kalamazoo G Joel Martin held the door shut. The Wings offense then went to work at 4:17 when F Nick Sirota rifled home a loose rebound to give Kalamazoo a 1-0 lead. Just before the break, F Brett Lysak's shot from the slot beat Condors G Brian Stewart to make it 2-0 with 58 seconds left in the period. The Condors were outshot 22-10.
The Condors fired 21 shots on Martin as Kalamazoo took 17 on Stewart, but both goaltenders came up big and kept the second period scoreless.
The comeback was on in the third period when C Peter Boyd snapped home a power-play goal at 5:57 of the frame to cut the lead to 2-1. Then, with Stewart pulled and the extra attacker on, RW Francis Verreault took a feed from Boyd and beat Martin from the slot to tie the game at 2-2 with 1:15 left in regulation.
In overtime, the Condors received a power play late and made sure it did not go to waste. D Erik Bugdoerfer's wrist shot from the point was deflected in front by Boyd past Martin with just 30 seconds left in the extra session to give the Condors a 3-2 come-from-behind victory.
Today was the first-ever meeting between the two sides... C Peter Boyd has scored a goal in five straight games and extended his point streak to eight games (7g-4a)... Bakersfield is now 1-2 in overtime this season... RW Francis Verreault was back on the scoresheet with a goal after his 11-game point streak was snapped last night... Condors scratches: D Deron Cousens, F Jacob Lagace (susp.), F Nick Prockow (inj.), F Parker Stanfield (inj.), D Ryan Annesley (inj.) Shots on goal: BAK - 48 , KAL - 50 Power plays: BAK- 2/4 , KAL - 0/1 ... Three stars: 1. Stewart (BAK), 2. Boyd (BAK), 3. Martin (KAL)
Youth Jerseys and Cowboy Hats up next
The Condors wrap up the seven-game trip in Las Vegas on Wednesday and return home to host Colorado on Feb. 1 with Youth Jersey Giveaway Night, sponsored by KGET-TV 17, Hot Hits 93.1 and Rabobank. The first 2,000 kids 12 and under will get a Condors youth jersey featuring Alternate Captain Peter Boyd.
On Saturday, Feb. 2 they play Ontario again on Cowboy Hat Giveaway Night, sponsored by the Emporium Western Store. The first 2,000 fans 5 and older will get their choice between and tan or black Condors cowboy hat (while supplies last).
Fun 4-packs are on sale now and if you purchase two 4-packs, you get a free Condors Snuggie! Check out the plan to fit your schedule and budget by clicking here or alling 324-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.