Bopening Night and Maurkice Pouncey Visit Highlight Curve's First Homestand of 2013
CURVE, Pa. - An excited fan base, fireworks shows, a Steelers' star and a special auction awaits the Altoona Curve when they return to Peoples Natural Gas Field on Thursday, April 11. Altoona will open its home slate with four games against the Harrisburg Senators ( Double-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals) followed by three games against the Richmond Flying Squirrels (Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants).
The homestand gets going at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday with BOpening Night as we pay tribute to beloved bat boy Robert "Bo" Forney, who passed away earlier this year. Forney was a bat boy with the team since the 2008 season and Thursday night's home opener will celebrate the life and all that he reached. The Forney family will be on hand to throw out a ceremonial first pitch and the bat boys will don the bat boy uniforms newly affixed with a patch on the sleeve with a rendering of Bo's likeness. There will be an auction of signed, game-used memorabilia from the Pirates -Curve game on March 30 that will benefit the American Heart Association in Forney's honor.
Thursday also will include the first giveaway of the 2013 season and the first of many awesome postgame fireworks displays in Curve,Pa. The first 5,000 fans that make their way into Peoples Natural Gas Field will receive a 2013 Magnet Schedule thanks to the folks at Capital Contractors. Thirsty ThursdayTM is also back again in 2013 courtesy of Rocky 104.9 and will feature $2 Bud Light 16 oz. drafts and half-priced regular sodas for the home opener.
The Silver Steamers Club presented by Homewood Retirement Communities at Martinsburg & Everett will have their first of five-games this season on Thursday when the 'Sens are in town. For more information on the club, which is specifically designed for those 55 and over, interested parties can call 877-99-CURVE. Club benefits to the first 200 members that sign up include a free t-shirt and a refillable coffee mug good for $1 refills on coffee, soda and hot chocolate at all Curve home games this season. In order to finish up the first home-game of the season the right way kids will run the bases following the game.
Fans attending Thursday night's home opener can also place themselves on a presale list for an early opportunity to buy tickets to the 2014 Eastern League All-Star Game, which is being played in Altoona on July 16, 2014. Interested fans can sign up at Thursday night's game and will be contacted later in the season as plans for the game start to take shape.
The Curve homestand continues at 6:30 p.m. on Friday when Pittsburgh Steelers pro-bowl center Maurkice Pouncey will visit Curve, Pa. thanks to Holiday Inn Express and WTAJ-TV. T.G.I. Friday's will also be having their first Mug Club Night of the season. The first 250 fans 21 & up exiting the ballpark will receive a Mug Club Mug and can head on down to T.G.I. Friday's after the game where two Curve players will be signing autographs for one hour at the Extra Innings Party.
Game number three of the season on Saturday will get underway at 6 p.m. and feature the second postgame fireworks display of the young season.
The first home series of the season wraps up on Sunday at 1 p.m. and includes the first of three youth baseball clinics this season. Kids ages 4-12 can come and learn from the stars of tomorrow from 10 a.m.-noon and is free for children who have a ticket for Sunday afternoon's game. Galliker's Curve Kids' Club Day number one takes place on Sunday and all Kids' Club members are encouraged to dress in Curve attire to help cheer on the home team. Kids can be signed up for the free club online or in-person at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
Sunday is also Atlantic Broadband Customer Appreciation Day. Atlantic Broadband customers in the Altoona, Johnstown, and Cumberland, MD markets will receive two free grandstand tickets to the Curve-Senators' game by presenting a coupon that will be emailed to them this week. For those Atlantic Broadband customers who don't receive email, a flyer with the same coupon for two free tickets will be available at the Atlantic Broadband offices in each of those cities.
Richmond will make its first trip Peoples Natural Gas Field beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Monday. Monday night will be the first Mirror Monday of the season courtesy of the Altoona Mirror. Be sure to check the front page of the Sports section in the Altoona Mirror for a special money-saving coupon good for $4 off all Grandstand seats to Monday night's game.
Game two against the Flying Squirrels will be the first Two-for-Tuesday of the season presented by Atlantic Broadband. You can bring a buddy or a friend to the game and grab two-for-one offers on tickets, hot dogs and small popcorns.
The final game of the seven-game homestand comes on Wednesday morning at 10:30 a.m. The first Education Day will feature some useful facts and educational tips throughout the game. It is also a 4-pack Wednesday presented by WALY 103.9. A great offer for all families, you can receive four tickets, four hot dogs, and four regular sodas for just $35 for Wednesday games.
A complete rundown of all the events and activities in Curve, Pa. during the upcoming homestand is listed below.
Thurs., April 11 vs. Harrisburg Senators (Washington Nationals) at 6:30 p.m./gates open: 5:30 p.m.
- Postgame Fireworks
- BOpening Night - We will celebrate the life of beloved bat boy Bo Forney throughout the game
- Pirates-Curve Memorabilia In-Game Silent Auction to benefit the American Heart Association - We'll auction off signed, game-used memorabilia of past Curve players who played in the March 30 Pirates-Curve Exhibition. All proceeds from the auction will benefit the American Heart Association
- Magnet Schedule Giveaway - First 5,000 fans will receive a 2013 magnet schedule thanks to Capital Contractors
- Silver Steamers Club Day- First of five games for members of the club presented by Homewood Retirement Communities at Martinsburg & Everett
- Thirsty ThursdayTM - Come on out for $2 16oz. Bud Light drafts and half-priced 22oz. sodas
- Kids Run the Bases
Fri., April 12 vs. Harrisburg Senators (Washington Nationals) at 6:30 p.m./gates open: 5:30 p.m.
- Maurkice Pouncey Appearance - Presented by Holiday Inn Express and WTAJ-TV. Steelers' pro-bowl center Maurkice Pouncey makes the trip to Curve, Pa. and will be available for autographs for two hours during the game
- T.G.I. Friday's Mug Club Night - The first 250 fans 21 and up that exit the ballpark will receive a Mug Club Mug thanks to T.G.I. Friday's. Fans are encouraged to head over to T.G.I. Friday's after the game where two Curve players will visit the Extra Innings Party to meet and greet Curve fans
- Kids Run the Bases
Sat., April 13 vs. Harrisburg Senators (Washington Nationals) at 6 p.m./gates open: 5 p.m.
- Postgame Fireworks
- Kids Run the Bases
Sun., April 14 vs. Harrisburg Senators (Washington Nationals) at 1 p.m./gates open: 12 p.m.
- Youth Baseball Clinic- The clinic is free to those kids who have a ticket to the game and runs from 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Atlantic Broadband Customer Appreciation Day - Atlantic Broadband customers in the Altoona, Johnstown, and Cumberland, MD markets can receive two free tickets to this game with a coupon they were emailed
- Galliker's Curve Kids' Club Day- The first Galliker's Curve Kids' Club Day of the season takes place and all members are encouraged to wear their Curve gear to this game. The Club is free to join for those 12 and under and features a total of 10 free games in 2013
- Kids Run the Bases
Mon., April 15 vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants) at 6:30 p.m./gates open: 5:30 p.m.
- Mirror Monday - Check the top page of the sports section in the Altoona Mirror on Monday for a coupon good for $4 off Grandstand tickets to Monday night's game
Tues., April 16 vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants) at 6:30 p.m./gates open: 5:30 p.m.
- 2-For-Tuesday- Get two-for-one offers at Tuesday's game on tickets, hot dogs and small popcorns thanks to Atlantic Broadband
Wed., April 17 vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants) at 10:30 a.m./gates open: 9:30 a.m.
- 4-Pack Wednesday - Fans can get four tickets four hot dogs and four regular sodas for just $35 thanks to WALY 103.9
- Education Day- We will incorporate some useful educational tips, facts and tidbits into this morning's game
Eastern League Stories from April 10, 2013
- Curve and Aeros Postponed on Wednesday Night - Altoona Curve
- Britton shines in Portland's 5-2 win over Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fightin Phils Opening Night Sold Out - Reading Fightin Phils
- Akron Aeros Launch New Birthday Perk for Fans Through Partnership with HULEDET - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Dogs rally falls short, fall to Reading 3-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves and Mets Suspended Due to Rain - Erie SeaWolves
- Series Finale Suspended in Erie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rock Cats Take on Red Sox Affiliate Portland Sea Dogs Tomorrow Night - New Britain Rock Cats
- Squirrels Dig out of Hole Only to Fall to Baysox, 7-6 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Take Series with 6-3 Win over Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Blow Lead, Rally Late for Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Schmipf Homers as Fisher Cats Top Thunder 6-3 Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 10 vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bopening Night and Maurkice Pouncey Visit Highlight Curve's First Homestand of 2013 - Altoona Curve
- Fisher Cats Team with Youk's Kids, E&R Cleaners for Manchester Public Schools Day - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- American Idol Finalist Skylar Laine Coming to Hadlock - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baver, Veasley, Ashburn Jr. to Attend Opening Night - Reading Fightin Phils
- Wednesday Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.