Blake Smith Signs with Impact
MONTREAL - With just five days until the start of the 2013 season, the Montreal Impact announced on Monday the signing of midfielder Blake Smith, the club's first selection at the 2013 SuperDraft (8th overall). As per league policy, details of the contract were not disclosed.
"We are very pleased to have come to terms with our first draft pick," said Impact sporting director Nick De Santis. "He has shown good progress throughout camp. There is a big difference between the college game and the pros, so there will be an adjustment period for him. He has all the qualities to be a successful outside midfielder in MLS."
"It's been a great preseason and I am really happy to be able to remain with the club," said Smith. "Everyone is excited to kick off the season. I think that we have a good team feel and that we are going to have a good year. I'm looking forward to starting the season and to play in front of our supporters in Montreal."
In 2012, Smith was named a First Team NSCAA Far West All-Region and a First Team All-Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, after scoring three goals and adding 13 assists in 21 games played with the University of New Mexico Lobos. His 13 assists were second best in the NCAA and second highest in one season all-time in team history.
The Impact also announced that the club will not offer a contract to forward Fernando Monge for the 2013 season.
The Impact now has 23 players under contract for the 2013 season in MLS.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 25, 2013
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- #RapidsJersey Preview - Colorado Flag Theme - Colorado Rapids
- Kickoff Week Continues Tomorrow with Dynamo Autograph Session - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- KCWE to Air Sporting KC's First Two MLS Matches - Sporting Kansas City
- Revs to Hold National Anthem Auditions - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake to Hold National Anthem Auditions on March 11 - Real Salt Lake
- Blake Smith Signs with Impact - Montreal Impact
- Villarreal Scores as U.S. U-20 Defeat Costa Rica to Win Group A - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Add Canadian Goalkeeper Simon Thomas - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- #RapidsJersey Sneak Preview - Today on 9News at 4 O'Clock - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire March to Los Angeles to Open 16th MLS Season - Chicago Fire
- FC Dallas Inks Landmark Television Deal with Time Warner Cable - FC Dallas
- D.C. United U-23 Academy Team Set to Compete in the NPSL in 2013 - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo Launch Major Social, Digital Media Platform - Houston Dynamo
- MLS and the French Football Federation Announce Partnership - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.