'Blades Let Lead Hop Away in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Greenville
ESTERO, -- Goaltender Ty Rimmer made 50 saves, while Garrett Clemment scored twice in a 14-second span to guide the Greenville Swamp Rabbits to a 4-3 shootout win over the Florida Everblades Friday night at Germain Arena.
Greenville was able to get on the board first on a nice zone entry at 7:59 into the first period. Joe Basaraba snuck in behind the "Blades defense and received a pass in the slot from Evan Jasper at the top of the zone, before Basaraba made a quick move to his backhand and elevated the puck over Martin Ouellette for the tally.
The "Blades answered at 13:15 off a rebound of a Justin Kea shot that deflected off the pads of Ty Rimmer. The puck hopped to the stick of John McCarron who quickly wound up a slap shot and fired it right through Rimmer's five-hole to tie the game 1-1.
The "Blades started off the second period strong and were able to outshoot the Swamp Rabbits 15-0 through the first the ten minutes of the period. The Swamp Rabbits didn't register their first shot of the period until 10:26 of the period while on the power play. Despite the Blades controlling possession for almost the entirety of the period, and outshooting the Swamp Rabbits 21-4. The score remained tied at 1-1 at the second break.
Justin Kea gave Florida its first lead of the game early in the third as a shot came off the stick of Tyler Ganly and went to the stick of Matt Berry. Berry scooped up the rebound and managed to thread the needle and connect with Kea on the backside for the one-timer goal.
The Blades extended their lead at 14:57 with a beauty of a goal from Matt Berry, who broke into the zone and blew past a Swamp Rabbits player and slickly cut into the slot. Berry then toe dragged before firing a wrister by Rimmer to make it a 3-1 game.
The Swamp Rabbits answered quickly with a goal just nine seconds later on a breakaway goal off the stick of Garrett Clemment who was playing in his Greenville debut. Clemment wasted little time scoring his second of the night, as just 14 seconds later picked up a rebound off a Caleb Herbert shot and lifted it into the net to tie the game at three.
With the third period ending tied 3-3, the game headed to overtime to decide the winner. The overtime period was back and forth, but despite the "Blades firing on all cylinders and finishing with 52 shots on net throughout the game, Rimmer was able to bail out the Swamp Rabbits and send the game to the shootout.
The shootout went five rounds with the lone Florida goal coming from John McCarron. Caleb Herbert scored in the first round on a quick backhand move and Shane Walsh ended it in the fifth round with a shot the just barely trickled across the goal line, ending the game with the Swamp Rabbits taking a 4-3 win.
Rimmer was stellar earning the win making 50 saves in the contest. Ouellette takes the loss allowing three goals on 29 shots faced.
The two teams will meet again tomorrow at Germain Arena with a 7:00 p.m. start time. Saturday's game will be broadcast on 99.3 FM ESPN Radio.
Upcoming Home Games
Saturday, February 3, vs. Greenville, 7:00 p.m. From 5-7 p.m., join us for the pregame tailgate part featuring live music and bounces houses for the kids!
Friday, February 9, vs. Allen, 7:30 p.m.
Kids eat free in the Breakaway Sports Pub with the purchase of an adult entrÃ©e. Bottomless all-you-can-eat popcorn is also available tonight! Both of these offers are good for every Friday game for the remainder of the regular season! The team will wear special pink jerseys for Pink in the Rink Weekend!
Saturday, February 10, vs. Allen, 7:00 p.m. Pink in the Rink continues as the team will wear the special pink jerseys. The jerseys will be auctioned off following the game to benefit local cancer charities. Also from 5-7 p.m., join us for the pregame tailgate party featuring live music and bounces houses for the kids!
Purchase Single Game Tickets at the Florida Community Bank Box Office located at Germain Arena, or online via Ticketmaster by ** CLICKING HERE
2017-18 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! Flexible partial plans are available. These packages will best fit your schedule and budget! To view pricing and benefits of all available ticket packages ** CLICK HERE
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2017-18 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage!
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available. For more information on group tickets, call 239-948-7825, or stop by the Everblades offices at Germain Arena Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Images from this story
Florida Everblades vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits
(Kevin Bires Photography)
ECHL Stories from February 5, 2018
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Team with Genesis for Pink in the Rink - Quad City Mallards
- Royals Have Wednesday Game Before 9-Day Break - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Weekly - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Add 6'6" Defenseman Chuard - Norfolk Admirals
- 'Blades Let Lead Hop Away in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Parizek, Desrosiers Chosen as Fantasy Team and Golden - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Stevenson Wins Fantasy Vote; Starrett Selected as Team's Golden Goalie - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Complete Suspended Game Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Sweep Pair for Week 17 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Unveil "Hockey for Indy" Initiative - Indy Fuel
- Luukko Wins Royals Fantasy Team Vote, Muse Selected as Team's Golden Goalie - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces 2018 Fantasy Team and Golden Goalie Participants - ECHL
- Colorado Drops Third Straight with 5-1 Loss to Americans - Colorado Eagles
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- THUNDER SNAP OILERS STREAK IN WICHITA - Tulsa Oilers
- MONARCH STUN BEAST IN OVERTIME, 6-5 - Manchester Monarchs
- INDY CLOSES ROAD SWING WITH 7-3 LOSS - Indy Fuel
- RAILERS COUGH UP TWO-GOAL LEAD IN 3RD PERIOD, THEN FALL IN OVERTIME TO THUNDER - Worcester Railers HC
- MONARCHS SQUEAK BY BEAST IN OVERTIME - Brampton Beast
- NAILERS SCORE SEVEN ON 90's NIGHT - Wheeling Nailers
- McCARTHY AND READING CAPSIZE ADMIRALS, 7-1 - Reading Royals
- Admirals Release Forward Allevi - Norfolk Admirals
- Hayden Hodgson Assigned from Cleveland Monsters (AHL) to the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Reading's Muse Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Warning Heads to AHL with San Jose - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.