Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 5
Chad Marshall is 58 minutes shy of becoming the 46th field player in MLS history to record 20,000 minutes in regular-season action. Marshall, who joined the Crew in 2004, would be just the fourth player among the 45 previous entrants to the 20,000 minutes club to have played his entire career with one club. That short list includes Chicago's C.J. Brown (25,738 minutes) and Logan Pause (20,530) as well as LA's Cobi Jones (25,157 minutes).
Homegrown Player Ben Speas recorded his first career goal on March 23 at D.C. United becoming the first Crew Homegrown player to record a tally. Entering April, the Black & Gold are one of five teams in MLS that have signed five or more Homegrown Players. While Dallas leads MLS with nine Homegrown Player signings and three other teams have five Homegrown Players, the Crew is the only team in MLS to have all of its Homegrown Player signings on their current roster in 2013.
Anchoring the right side of the backline, Josh Williams not only leads the Crew in goals with two in four starts, but of the 15 players in the League with two tallies recorded in 2013 through the end of March, the 24-year-old is the only defender on that list.
Three of the Crew's seven goals this season have come via set-pieces. Federico HiguaÃ¯Â¿Â½ - n, Eddie Gaven and Tyson Wahl each have supplied the assists from deadball situations. All three set-piece goals have also been scored by Crew defenders this season as Josh Williams has two goals in addition to Glauber's header on March 16 against San Jose.
Crew 'keeper Andy Gruenebaum is already among the top five goalkeepers in MLS this season when it comes to goals against average. Among netminders that have made four or more starts in 2013, Gruenebaum is tied for fifth on the goals against average leaders list with an even 1.00 mark. Sporting KC's Jimmy Nielsen leads that group with a 0.60 goals against average.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 5, 2013
- Arena Says Juninho Is "Doing Fine" After Injury - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Returns to Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Aron Mkungilwa with Canada U17 - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Routs Cal FC, 5-1, in Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Club and U.S. Soccer to Study Kansas City, Kan. for National Training and Coaching Developm - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Match Preview: Crew vs. Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Alex Dixon Loaned to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Houston Dynamo
- RSL Set for 2nd Leg of Rocky Mountain Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union Youth Academy Join US Soccer Development Academy to Announce Academy Coaching Hir - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting Club Launches the Victory Project to Help Children with Cancer in KC - Sporting Kansas City
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 5 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.