Birds' bats quiet in home opener loss
SIOUX FALLS - The Sioux Falls Canaries' offense mustered just two hits in a 3-0 loss to the Sioux City Explorers Friday night, spoiling the Birds' home opener before 3,521 fans at the BIrdcage.
Starting pitcher Jason Jarvis (1-0) was dominant for Sioux City, allowing only one hit and one walk in seven strong innings. Jordan Whatcott (0-1) took the tough-luck loss in his Canaries debut. He delivered a quality start, giving up just one unearned run on five hits and three walks over six innings. He also fanned five.
Sioux City (2-0) broke a scoreless tie in the fourth when Bryan Pounds came home on a swinging bunt by Adrian Martinez. Whatcott fielded the ball and threw home, but Canaries catcher Steve Domecus couldn't hold onto the ball, and the Explorers took a 1-0 lead.
The Canaries squandered the few opportunities they had against Jarvis. Leadoff batters reached in the fourth and fifth innings, only to see a double play groundout follow each time.
Jared Clark and J.P Ramirez had the only two hits for Sioux Falls (0-2). Clark reached based twice with a single and a walk, while Ramirez added a double. Ramirez would have hit two home runs if not for a strong wind blowing in from right field.
Sioux City expanded the lead to 3-0 in the seventh when Peter Barrows hit a two-run home run to left field off Canaries reliever Chris Green.
Yusuke Inoguchi had two hits and a run scored for Sioux City, while Pounds doubled twice.
Explorers' reliever Chris Bodishbaugh pitched a perfect ninth for his second consecutive save.
Game three of the four-game series is 7:05 p.m. on Saturday, May 18 at Sioux Falls Stadium. The first 500 fans in the ballpark receive a "Birds are Back" T-shirt, compliments of Auto-Owners Insurance. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio KWSN 1230-AM, 98.1-FM and www.kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 17, 2013
- Rusch and Mazzola Pace Goldeyes to Opening Day Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Even Series in 10-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Birds' bats quiet in home opener loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Parise's Pitching, Forgatch's Power Propel 'Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Split Series with Wichita - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Sneak by Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Retire Final 23 Jackals Hitters, Win 5-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - May 17th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- 'Dogs Mash, But Walks Prove Costly in 11-Inning Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- El Paso Diablos Drop Season Opener - El Paso Diablos
- Klein's Single Delivers Walk-Off Win on Opening Night - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Offense Missing against Link, Wichita in Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Newmann Pitches Lemurs to Win - Laredo Lemurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.