Berken Gets Run Support, Victory
(Norwich, CT) - Jason Berken allowed two earned runs in 5.2 innings Tuesday, and earned his first win of the season in the Baysox 7-3 victory. Berken has not allowed more than two earned runs in any of his four starts this season.
After being shut out Monday, the Baysox didn't waste any time scoring on Tuesday. Kennard Jones led off the game with a walk, went from first to third on a Lou Montanez single and scored when Ryan Finan hit into a double play.
The Defenders took the lead when they scored three runs off Berken. Eddy Martinez-Esteve walked and went to second on an Olmo Rosario single. Ben Copeland laid down a sacrifice bunt, Berken fielded it, but threw the ball well over Ryan Finan's head for an error. Martinez-Esteve scored on the play, Rosario went to third and Copeland wound up at second. Travis Denker singled to left, scoring Rosario and moving Copeland to third. With one out and runners on the corners, Berken struck out Simon Klink swinging, and Ben Copeland stole home on the play for the Defenders third run.
The Baysox would get one run back in the top of the fourth when Sebastien Boucher doubled in Nolan Reimold, and would add three more in the sixth. With two outs and the bases loaded, Jonathan Tucker hit a pop up behind the plate that should have ended the inning, but catcher Josh Witters dropped the ball. Tucker capitalized on the error, hitting a single to left-center field. Ben Davis, Nolan Reimold and Sebastien Boucher would all score on the play. Tucker would wind up on third with two RBI after a throwing error by third baseman David Maroul.
Kennard Jones kept things rolling in the seventh inning. He led off the inning with a walk, then stole second and third base with Ryan Finan batting. Finan drew a walk, and both runners would score on a Ben Davis double to right. Three of the Baysox seven runs were unearned.
Kam Mickolio and Julio Manon combined to throw 3.1 scoreless innings in relief. The Baysox improve to 8-10 with the win, the Defenders fall to 10-9.
The teams will meet for the final game of their three game series Wednesday at 6:35 p.m.
Eastern League Stories from April 22, 2008
- Berken Gets Run Support, Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Trenton's Five-Run 13th Does In B-Mets - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Trenton outlasts Binghamton for 8-3 win in 13 innings - Trenton Thunder
- Bats Quiet Again as Aeros Fall 7-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Rock Cats fall 11-9 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Curve win season high thid straight - Altoona Curve
- Portland 11 Fisher Cats 2 Tuesday night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Defenders fall 7-3 - Connecticut Defenders
- Erie slugs out 12-2 win over Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Dogs scratch back at the 'Cats, win 11-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves At Harrisburg Senators - Game Two Of Three - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rehab Hospital To Support "Player Rehabs" - Trenton Thunder
- Akron Aeros Game Notes 4-22-08 - Akron RubberDucks
- Rock Cats Get Major League Veteran To Help Out In Bullpen - New Britain Rock Cats
- Johnson Placed on DL, Bates Activated - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Rally Late, Down Aeros 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.