Bees Sunk by Bandits
(Davenport, IA) - The Burlington Bees (46-62) dropped game one of a three game series, 5-3, to the Quad Cities River Bandits (61-46) on Wednesday night at Modern Woodman Park.
River Bandits' starting pitcher, Dustin Hunt struck out the first two batters he faced on Wednesday night before Richie Fecteau put the Bees in front, hitting a solo home run to right field, giving the Bees a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Quad Cities came back to tie the game in the third inning. Osvaldo Duarte started the inning with a double to left. After Duarte moved to third on a groundout, Ronnie Dawson grounded out to first, scoring Duarte, tying the game at one.
The Bees' offense got right back to work in the top of the fourth. Artemis Kadkhodaian opened the inning with a walk and moved to third on a John Schuknecht single. The Bees grabbed the lead again on a double steal, scoring Kadkhodaian. With two outs, Jonah Todd sent a single into left, scoring Schuknecht, extending the Bees' lead to 3-1.
With one out in the top of the fourth inning, Daz Cameron walked and then moved all the way to third base on a wild pitch. Kristian Trompiz lined a singled to center, scoring Cameron, cutting the Bees' lead to 3-2.
After the Bees failed to cash in, in the top of the seventh inning, Josh Rojas opened the bottom half with a lead off triple. After a hit batter, Ray Henderson tied the game with a single to left, scoring Rojas. After an error gave the River Bandits the lead, Ronnie Dawson singled in Henderson, giving the River Bandits a 5-3 lead.
Quad Cities would hang on for the win as reliever Jesus Balaguer (1-0) earned the win while Bees' reliever Ty Barkell (1-6) was charged with the loss.
The Bees and River Bandits will continue the series on Thursday at 6:35 p.m. at Modern Woodman Park in Davenport, Iowa. The Bees will have Andrew Vinson on the mound, making the start against Cristian Javier for the River Bandits. Listen to the Bees with the voice of the Burlington Bees, Michael Broskowski on Fox Sports 104.5 and 1360 and online at gobees.com and foxsportsiowa.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 3, 2017
- Kane County Spoils Watson's Debut - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Walton, Hernandez Homer to Lead Cougars in Series Clinching Win - Kane County Cougars
- Gutierrez Fans 10 in Lugnuts Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Three-Run Seventh Fuels Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Series opener goes to Timber Rattlers in loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers vs. Clinton LumberKings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Erwin Dominates as Snappers Take Series - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Top Kernels in Series Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Sunk by Bandits - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Crack the Bats, Kernels in Iowa Opener - Kane County Cougars
- Late Outburst Leads Loons to Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Top Dragons as Siri's Streak Reaches 38 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.