Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week
December 26, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Hershey Bears left wing Quintin Laing has been named the CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending December 24, 2006.
In three games last week, Laing scored three goals, recorded three assists and posted a plus-4 rating in three games for the Bears.
On Wednesday, Hershey became the first team in AHL history to play 5,000 regular-season games, and Laing was the hero by recording his first career AHL hat trick, including the game-winning goal, in a 7-4 victory at Albany. On Friday, Laing had an assist in the Bears' 6-3 loss to Norfolk, and he recorded two more assists on Saturday to help Hershey get past Philadelphia, 4-1.
In recognition of his achievement, Laing will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Bears home game.
A native of Harris, Sask., Laing has totaled six goals and 11 assists for 17 points in 27 games with Hershey this season. The seventh-year pro signed with the Washington Capitals on July 18, 2006, after six seasons in the Chicago Blackhawks organizarion, mostly with the AHL's Norfolk Admirals. Laing has registered 53 goals and 93 assists for 146 points in 384 career AHL games.
Other nominees for CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week include Albany defenseman Johnny Boychuk, Bridgeport forward Frans Nielsen, Chicago left wing Brett Sterling, Grand Rapids center Matt Hussey, Houston forward Roman Voloshenko, Lowell center Justin Papineau, Milwaukee center Rich Peverley, Norfolk forward Brandon Bochenski, Peoria left wing Peter Sejna, Philadelphia defenseman Nolan Baumgartner, Portland right wing Pierre Parenteau, San Antonio forward Tyler Redenbach, Toronto center Kris Newbury, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton forward Tyler Kennedy and Worcester left wing Mathieu Darche.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.