B-Mets Break Up Perfecto, But Lose In The Ninth
Tyler Clippard retired the first 21 Binghamton Mets to face him before a three-run eighth, but the Trenton Thunder won in their last at-bat for the second straight day, picking up a 4-3 victory at Waterfront Park Monday. Trenton took three of four in the series from the B-Mets, who've dropped seven of their last eight.
The game began as a pitcher's duel between Clippard and Binghamton's Miguel Pinango, who didn't allow a hit until the fifth. Randy Ruiz put Trenton up 2-0 in the sixth with a two-run homer to left, the only runs Miguel would allow in eight innings of work.
Meanwhile, the B-Mets (21-30) didn't get anyone on base until the eighth, when Michel Abreu ended the perfect game with a single to left. Andy Wilson followed with a two-run homer over the leftfield fence, tying the game at two. Jay Caligiuri then doubled, chasing Clippard from the ballgame. Corey Ragsdale bunted pinch-runner Kevin Rios to third before Ray Navarrete reached J. Brent Cox (2-2) for a single, scoring Rios for a 3-2 lead.
In the ninth, Trenton (25-25) was able to score twice off B-Mets reliever Robert Paulk who, after getting the first out, allowed a Felix Escalona single and walked Kevin Howard, putting the winning runs on base. Justin Christian then singled up the middle off Paulk (1-2), scoring Escalona with the tying run before Vince Faison's base hit brought home Howard with the winning run.
Tuesday, the B-Mets start a six-game homestand, opening a three-game set with the Reading Phillies. Bryan Edwards (1-3, 5.60) gets the ball for Binghamton against Zach Segovia (2-1, 3.32) of Reading. Game time is 6:00 from NYSEG with the Horizons Federal Credit Union Pre-Game Show kicking off the broadcast at 5:45 on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
Eastern League Stories from May 29, 2006
- Baysox cap road trip on positive note - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats roll to easy 14-4 win Monday night vs. Harrisburg - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs manage split with 9-5 win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Another day, another Thunder walkoff win - Trenton Thunder
- B-Mets Break Up Perfecto, But Lose In The Ninth - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Feliciano to DL; Raines to Harrisburg - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve defeat SeaWolves on Memorial Day, 4-2 - Altoona Curve
- Alfonzo promoted to the big leagues - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Harrisburg Senators game notes - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.