Atlanta Dream Selects Alex Bentley and Anne Marie Armstrong in WNBA Draft
ATLANTA, April 15, 2013 - The Atlanta Dream selected Penn State University guard Alex Bentley with the No. 13 overall pick in the 2013 WNBA Draft on Monday night, and took University of Georgia guard/forward Anne Marie Armstrong with the 31st pick.
The five-foot, seven-inch Bentley is a three-time First-Team All-Big Ten selection and a two-time member of the league's All-Defensive team. She became just the fourth player in Big Ten history to amass at least 1,500 points, 500 assists and 300 steals, joining a group that includes WNBA vets Katie Smith and Tamara Moore. She averaged more than 14 points per game in each of her final three seasons at Penn State, finishing her career with 1,786 points scored, which is eighth in program history. She also finished her career ranked second in school history in steals (325) and tied for sixth in assists (567).
As a senior, Bentley was named one of seven finalists for the Lieberman Award, given to the nation's top Division I point guard, after averaging 14.1 points, 3.5 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 3.4 steals per game, leading the Big Ten and ranking sixth nationally in steals. She was also the recipient of the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award, presented by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to the nation's outstanding female collegian 5-8-and-under who excels athletically and academically. She also led the league in steals as a junior en route to earning honorable mention All-American honors.
"I'm very excited to join the Dream and to help them reach their goals," said Bentley. "I wasn't expecting to have the opportunity to play for such a great team. It will be an honor to play alongside Angel McCoughtry and the rest of their players. It's ironic that I'm going to the Dream, because I've been saying that this whole experience has been like a dream to me. I've been dreaming about having this opportunity since I was a little girl.
"I hope to be able to just be who I am as a player. I like to get up and down the court, and I like playing defense. I'M very competitive, and offensively I can distribute the basketball and look to get my teammates open shots, but I can score as well."
Armstrong, a 6-3 native of Norcross, Ga., helped Georgia reach the Elite Eight this season, averaging 7.2 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists. She became the 34 th player in Georgia history to score 1,000 career points, and finished her career with 1,015 points. As a junior, she earned first team All-Southeastern Conference honors by the league's coaches after averaging 11.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists. She also was a two-time Miss Georgia Basketball who helped Wesleyan School win three states titles in basketball, three in volleyball and four in track and field (three individual, one team).
The two-time Eastern Conference Champion Atlanta Dream will tip off its sixth season in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) on May 25 at Philips Arena. The Dream qualified for the playoffs in each of the past four seasons, including back-to-back conference titles in 2010 and 2011. Season tickets and sin gle-game tickets for the 2013 season are now available and can be purchased by calling (877) 977-7729 or visiting www.AtlantaDream.net. The complete 2013 schedule can be found at www.wnba.com/dream/schedule.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 15, 2013
- Bentley, Rodgers Headline Second Round Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- New York Liberty Select Five Players in 2013 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Phoenix Mercury Renames 1st Street, "Griner Street" - Phoenix Mercury
- Sparks Select Brittany Chambers with 22nd Pick in WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Lynx Wrap up WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- It's Official: Mercury Take Griner - Phoenix Mercury
- Seattle Storm Select Tianna Hawkins - Seattle Storm
- Washington Mystics Select McKenith & Meesseman - Washington Mystics
- Connecticut Selects Faris with 11th Pick in WNBA Draft - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks Select A'dia Mathies with 10th Pick in WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Cal Guard Clarendon Highlights Indiana Draft Selections - Indiana Fever
- Atlanta Dream Selects Alex Bentley and Anne Marie Armstrong in WNBA Draft - Atlanta Dream
- Lynx Select Lindsey Moore and Ta'Shauna Rodgers with First Two Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins, Top Three Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- Layshia Clarendon of California Selected by Indiana Fever - Indiana Fever
- Washington Mystics Select Tayler Hill - Washington Mystics
- Shock Select Skylar Diggins with Third Pick in the WNBA Draft - Tulsa Shock
- Atlanta Dream Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale - Atlanta Dream
- Washington Mystics Acquire Quanitra Hollinsworth - Washington Mystics
- New York Liberty Acquire Draft Pick from Washington - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.