Arrieta Earns International Call Up
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew striker Jairo Arrieta has been called-up for National Team duty ahead of Costa Rica's upcoming international friendly against Canada on May 28, 2013 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, Canada.
Serving the second of a two-match suspension on Sunday, May 26 when the Crew takes on the New York Red Bulls, Arrieta will return from National Team duty in time for the club's home clash against Houston at Crew Stadium on Saturday, June 1.
The call-up for Arrieta comes on the heels of Costa Rica's 2-0 win draw against Jamaica in 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying action. Arrieta has earned nine caps for La Sele, dating back to 2011. Through 10 matches in the 2013 campaign for the Crew, Arrieta has recorded one goal and two assists in nine appearances.
Arrieta is one of three Costa Rican players on Major League Soccer rosters to be named to Costa Rica Head Coach Jorge Luis Pinto's squad for the friendly, joining Gonzalo Segares (Chicago Fire) and Rodney Wallace (Portland Timbers).
The Black & Gold close-out the month of May on Sunday with a trip to Red Bull Arena as the Crew (4-4-3, 15 points) completes a two-match road swing this week and faces the Eastern Conference-leading New York Red Bulls (7-4-3, 24 points) on Sunday, May 26 in Harrison, New Jersey (5:00 p.m. ET / Unimas, Univision Deportes, FOX Sports Ohio).
FULL COSTA RICA ROSTER
GOALKEEPERS (2): Patrick Pemberto (Alajuelense), Kevín Briceño (Uruguay de Coronado)
DEFENDERS (7): Jhonny Acosta (Alajuelense), Michael Umaña (Saprissa), Oscar Duarte (Club Brugge), Pablo Herrera (Unattached), Christopher Menéses (Alajuelense), Jordan Smith (Saprissa), Gonzalo Segares (Chicago Fire)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Osvando Rodríguez (Santos de Guápiles), Ariel Rodríguez (Pérez Zeledón), Keylor Soto (Pérez Zeledón), Yeltsin Tejeda (Saprissa), Allen Guevara (Alajuelense), Rodney Wallace (Portland Timbers)
FORWARDS (3): Jairo Arrieta (Columbus Crew), Alejandro Aguilar (Alajuelense), Kenny Cunningham (The Strongest)
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2013
- LA Galaxy Technical Director Jovan Kirovski still remembers Champions League title run with Borussia - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy to Announce Player Acquisition on Saturday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Welcomes Houston Dynamo to Sporting Park on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Not Panicking as They Prepare to Face Red-Hot Seattle - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Arrieta Earns International Call Up - Columbus Crew SC
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 24 - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Set to Take On Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United's Neal to Miss 6-8 weeks Following Surgery - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Players Called Up to National Teams - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Hold Youth Tryouts - New England Revolution
- Revolution Preview Matchup Against Toronto - New England Revolution
- Midfielder Bostock Placed On Waivers - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake vs. Fire - Game Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Nyassi Called Up to Gambian National Team - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Unveil New Features for Team's Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Adds Jonathan "T-Bone" Smith to ESPN 1460's Inside the Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Wynalda Set to Serve as Assistant for Real Salt Lake Game - Real Salt Lake
- Koevermans Set to Return For Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Impact to Host Union Saturday, May 25 - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.