Andrew Murray Returns to Lead Peoria over Houston
After missing the last 13 games with an injury, Andrew Murray picked up a goal and an assist to lead the Peoria Rivermen to a 3-2 win over the Houston Aeros on Sunday. The line of Murray, Phil McRae and Jaden Schwartz all had a goal and an assist as Mike McKenna collected 32 saves in net for his second straight win.
The Rivermen (8-11-2-2, 20 pts) are now 2-1-0 on their current five-game road trip and will travel to Oklahoma City for a game on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
After Houston jumped out to a 1-0 lead, the Rivermen responded with two goals over 2:04 to claim the lead for good. Houston's Chay Genoway finished off a net-front scramble by lifting the puck over McKenna at 4:40. Kris Foucault and Johan Larsson earned assists on the play.
Peoria's answer came in the form of a Phil McRae power-play goal on a rebound from a shot by Mark Cundari. McRae's goal was his fifth of the season and second power-play marker. At 12:20,, McRae pushed a backhanded pass to Schwartz, who found the back of the net for his eighth goal of the season to give the Rivermen a 2-1 lead. The goal was the third in as many games for Schwartz.
There was no scoring in the second period, but Peoria killed two penalties and tied the Aeros with six shots on goal in the frame after being outshot 15-6 in the first period.
Murray's breakaway goal, only 43 seconds into the third period, was assisted by Schwartz. Murray stopped in front of Houston's goalie Matt Hackett, and fired a shot which bounced right back to Murray's stick on the rebound, which he pushed past Hackett to give Peoria a 3-1 lead.
Charlie Coyle scored on a delayed penalty as Jason Zucker's declected shot went to Coyle as he cut the Rivermen lead to one. However, McKenna stopped every shot afterwards, including a flurry in the last minute, to hold Peoria's lead for a 3-2 road victory.
The Rivermen were outshot 34-23, and went 1-for-1 on the power play while holding Houston to 0-for-3 on the man advantage.
The Rivermen continue their road swing with games in Oklahoma City on Tuesday and Grand Rapids on Friday. All games can be heard on CD Country 107.9 FM or online through www.rivermen.net.
American Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2012
- Admirals King Checkers 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Complete Sweep of Oklahoma City with 3-2 Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Andrew Murray Returns to Lead Peoria over Houston - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Reclaim First Place with 4-2 Win over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Peoria Ends Houston Aeros Streak - Houston Aeros
- Heat Win 3-2 in Toronto - Abbotsford Heat
- Early Period Goals Sink IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Power Past Crunch 7-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Request a ReiDO - Manchester Monarchs
- Dimmen Late Goal Earns Road Point - Adirondack Phantoms
- P-Bruins Haunt Phantoms 3-2 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Toronto Falls 3-2 against Abbotsford - Toronto Marlies
- Whale Turns Defense Around, Offense Disappears - Connecticut Whale
- Battle for First Place Won by Worcester 3-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Checkers Fall to Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Sound Tigers Drop Crunch 7-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Kinkaid, Devils Shut out Whale - Albany Devils
- Third Episode Of Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Hour Taking Place Tomorrow At Montana's Cookhouse - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Houston Aeros Shuffle Roster - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Earn 4-3 Win over Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Teddy Bears Fly, Hogs Fall 2-1 - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.