Amerks Summer Player Profiles: Kenndal McArdle
(Rochester, NY)... Amerks.com had a chance to chat with Rochester Americans left wing Kenndal McArdle. The Toronto native talked about the upcoming season, battling back from injuries and Wegmans.
Last season, the former first-round pick skated in three National Hockey League games with the Florida Panthers. He also finished his second season in Rochester with 24 points (12+12) in 58 games and was named the 2008-09 Connors & Ferris Comeback Player of the Year for the second straight season.
1) This offseason, the Amerks have added some veteran talent and Ted Nolan as the Senior VP of Hockey Operations. How exciting is that news from your perspective?
"I think it's great news for the organization to bring in someone of his stature. It shows a real commitment by the team in focusing on our future. I believe any positive change within an organization has to start from the top down. This is a great step."
2) In the past two seasons you have had to fight off three major injuries. What have you learned through those experiences?
"It definitely has been a learning experience over the past two seasons. I have learned to deal with adversity, and not to dwell on what you cannot control. I really believe the injuries can be turned into a positive experience."
3) During the 2008-09 season you played in three NHL games with the Panthers. What have you been working on this summer to get more playing time with the big club?
"I have worked this offseason to continue my level of fitness. I have also worked on preparing my mind mentally for the next level. I believe I need to be a more consistent and dependable player to stay up with the Panthers."
4) How excited are you for Panthers' Training Camp?
"I really am excited to get Training Camp underway this year. I believe my game has improved over the past two seasons and I am excited to continue my growth as a player. I also miss the high level of competition that camp brings throughout the summer."
5) When you are not training, how do you spend your free time?
"I have a vast array of hobbies to keep myself busy, especially in the offseason when I am home. When I am able to get some time away, I love to explore new places. I travel where ever I can and also camp quite a bit."
6) What is your favorite vacation spot?
"I don't have one particular vacation spot, but any secluded place on a lake or ocean will do just fine."
7) What has been your favorite hockey moment?
"Winning the Memorial Cup in my hometown was definitely an experience I'll never forget. Also winning gold for my country at the World Junior Championships in Sweden was a once in a lifetime experience."
8) What do you like the most about Rochester?
"Wegmans. My girlfriend and I cook a lot and no other place compares."
9) When you travel, what songs are in your iPod?
"I've been listening to a lot of Kings of Leon lately. I must say, however, my iPod is quite diverse, and depending on my mood, I can be caught listening to anything."
10) Who is the funniest player on the team and why?
"Ah, there's a lot of clowns to choose from. However, a lot of the guys got kicks out of Randall Gelech last year and his many stories."
11) What's one thing you can't live without?
American Hockey League Stories from August 25, 2009
- 'Canes Announce 2009 Training Camp Schedule - Albany River Rats
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Brent Henley - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Training Camp Set to Open September 21st - Springfield Falcons
- Lightning Re-Sign RW Martins Karsums - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Sign Andrew Orpik to AHL Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Announce New ECHL Affiliation - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs to Host Wolves in Preseason Contest - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Open Training Camp On Sept. 21 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Set 2009 Exhibition Slate - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Summer Player Profiles: Kenndal McArdle - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.