Allen, Omogrosso Promotions Highlight Flurry of Moves
HOOVER, Ala. - The Chicago White Sox announced a number of moves today that will have an effect on the Barons roster. First baseman Brandon Allen and starting pitcher Brian Omogrosso have been promoted to Triple-A Charlotte. Barons' center fielder Jordan Danks has been placed on the disabled list. Infielder/outfielder Christian Marrero and starting pitcher Daniel Hudson will join the Barons after spending the first half of the season guiding Winston-Salem to a division title. Lee Cruz will rejoin the Barons after playing the past month with the Dash. Allen hit .290 in 62 games while helping turn the Barons into the best offensive team in the Southern League. He clubbed 7 home runs and knocked in 35 runs. Omogrosso was 7-2 with a 4.13 ERA in 13 starts for the Birmingham club. He ranked second in the Southern League in victories while striking out 64 batters in 73.0 innings. Marrero hit .314 with seven home runs and 34 RBI. The 22-year old was named to the Carolina League All-Star Game while playing primarily in the outfield. He also saw time at first base during his stint with the High Single-A club.
Hudson will play for his third team in 2009 after dominating both the South Atlantic League and the Carolina League. He struck out 79 batters and walked just 15 in 67.0 innings for Kannapolis and Winston-Salem. He is a combined 5-5 with a 2.69 ERA. Cruz hit .263 with three home runs and 14 RBI in 26 games with Winston-Salem after hitting .140 with one home run and eight RBI in 20 games to open the season with Birmingham. The Barons currently hold the best record in professional baseball with a 44-20 record and have already clinched a First-Half Division Championship. Omogrosso and Allen become the fourth and fifth players to start the season in Birmingham and earn a promotion. Gordon Beckham, Aaron Poreda and Mike Johnston have all been called up to either the Major League club or Triple-A Charlotte since starting the season with the Barons. Winston-Salem recently clinched a postseason berth by winning their First-Half Division Championship. The Dash feature a number of players who could help the Barons in Birmingham's second half. The Barons' second half officially begins Monday, June 22 when the team travels to Mississippi. The Barons will also host the 2009 Southern League All-Star Game on Monday, July 13. With the best record in the Southern League, the Barons will more than likely receive a number of All-Star selections. The official roster will be released on June 28. For tickets to the game, please visit the Barons website at www.barons.com or by calling (205) 988-3200.
Southern League Stories from June 18, 2009
- Barons Shock Stars With 5-4 Win - Birmingham Barons
- 12-Hit Attack Provides Win on Thursday Night for Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Barons Stun Stars in the Ninth - Huntsville Stars
- Jaxx Respond With 7-2 Game Two Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lookouts Trump M-Braves, 6-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mudcats Split Double-Header - Carolina Mudcats
- BayBears Drop Lead Late in Jacksonville - Mobile BayBears
- Suns Rally for Thursday Win - Jacksonville Suns
- Smokies Split Thursday Doubleheader with Carolina - Tennessee Smokies
- Sandoval Reinstated From DL - Huntsville Stars
- Glen Joins Roster - Jacksonville Suns
- Red, White & Blue International Diplomacy Tour - Mississippi Braves
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Diamond Jaxx Roster Moves - Jackson Generals
- Allen, Omogrosso Promotions Highlight Flurry of Moves - Birmingham Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.