Albany Devils Weekly
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS WEEK
The Albany Devils are riding a three-game winning streak thanks to three victories last week. They defeated the Connecticut Whale, 4-3, in a shootout Tuesday, the Syracuse Crunch, 4-3, Saturday and the Binghamton Senators, 3-2, in a shootout Sunday. As of Wednesday, the Devils are third in the Northeast Division and tied for 10th in the Eastern Conference at 20-16-1-8 (49 pts.) with an 8-8-0-5 home showing and a 12-8-1-3 road record.
On Monday, Matt Anderson was selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Feb. 10. He notched three goals and four assists for seven points in three Albany victories. He recorded a goal and two helpers in regulation and converted a shootout attempt at Connecticut Tuesday and followed with a tally and two assists at Syracuse Saturday. Anderson capped his performance with a goal at Binghamton Sunday.
In their next four games, the Devils will host Syracuse Wednesday (7 pm) and Monday (2 pm), travel to Adirondack Friday (7 pm) and welcome Binghamton Sunday (3 pm). Syracuse is second in the East Division and fourth in the Eastern Conference at 16-14-2-4 (58 pts.), including a 16-6-0-2 road record. Adirondack is fifth in the Northeast Division and 15th in the conference at 19-24-2-1 (41 pts.) with a 10-11-0-1 home mark. Binghamton is first in the East Division and tied for first in the conference at 29-13-1-4 (63 pts.), featuring a 13-9-0-2 road showing.
Albany, which is 12-5-0-3 against Northeast Division opponents and 5-5-1-2 against East Division rivals, is 1-2-0-0 against the Crunch this season. The Devils are 6-1-0-1 against the Phantoms and 2-1-0-0 against the Senators.
Sunday's game against Binghamton features a "Dunkin' Donuts Family 4 Pack." For just $52, fans will receive four tickets to the game, four Albany Devils hats and a $10 Dunkin' Donuts Gift Card. Additionally there will be a post-game autograph session and a post-game skate.
"¢ The Devils current three game winning streak is tied for their second longest of the season. The team won five consecutive games between Dec. 1-14 and three straight between Dec. 19-Jan. 6.
"¢ Albany ended its shootout draught with wins at Connecticut Tuesday and at Binghamton Sunday. The team is now 2-8 in the penalty shot session.
"¢ The Devils outing at Springfield last Friday was rescheduled due to inclement weather. The game will now be played on April 2 at 7 pm.
"¢ Matt Anderson's seven point performance last week moved him to the top of the Devils scoring list with 28 points. He is first with 18 assists and second among active players with 10 goals. Anderson is eight points away from hitting the 200 point plateau. In 318 career AHL games, he has produced 73 goals and 119 assists.
"¢ On Wednesday, New Jersey recalled Andrei Loktionov. The transaction came one week after the NHL Devils acquired the Russian center from Los Angeles in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Loktionov made his AHL Devils debut at Syracuse Saturday and played at Binghamton Sunday. In 134 career AHL game, he has registered 29 goals and 68 assists for 97 points. During his first North American season, Loktionov was a member of the 2008-09 Memorial Cup-winning Windsor Spitfires, where his teammates included Adam Henrique and Harry Young.
"¢ Also on Wednesday, New Jersey reassigned Harry Young from Kalamazoo (ECHL) to Albany. Young, who has played one AHL game this season, has appeared in 32 ECHL contests -- 30 with Kalamazoo and two with Trenton.
"¢ Last Tuesday, the Albany Devils signed Stefan Stepanov to an AHL contract. He joined the AHL Devils after two-and-a-half seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League and the Minor Hockey League, playing for CSKA Moscow (2010-11) and Yekaterinburg (2011-13). During that span he logged 51 KHL games, registering two assists and 24 penalty minutes. In 55 MHL outings, he posted 30 points, including seven goals and 23 assists, and 54 penalty minutes.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Tues., Feb. 5; Albany 4 at Connecticut 3 -- SO (XL Center)
Teams 1 2 3 OT SO F
Albany 2 0 1 0 1 4
Connecticut 0 0 3 0 0 3
The Devils ended their shootout draught by defeating the Whale, 4-3, Tuesday at XL Center.
Albany, which entered the game 0-8 in the shootout, was led by Matt Anderson's goal and two assists. He also joined Chad Wiseman as the Devils scorers during the penalty-shot session.
Keith Kinkaid made 20 saves during regulation and in overtime and turned aside all four Connecticut shootout attempts for his 15th win of the season.
In regulation, Phil DeSimone and Corbin McPherson also scored and Brandon Burlon posted a pair of assists.
Sat., Feb. 9; Albany 4 at Syracuse 3 (Onondaga County War Memorial)
Teams 1 2 3 F
Albany 0 0 4 4
Syracuse 0 2 1 3
Facing a two-goal hole, the Devils rallied in the third period to defeat the Crunch, 4-3, Saturday at the Onondaga County War Memorial. The Devils scored four-straight goals during a 14-minute span, securing their second consecutive victory.
Matt Anderson repeated his Tuesday performance with a goal and two assists for his fifth multiple-point outing of the year. Joe Whitney and Scott Parse also scored and Tim Sestito supplied the game-winning goal. Keith Kinkaid earned his 16th victory by making 27 saves on 30 shots.
Sun., Feb. 10; Albany 3 at Binghamton 2 -- SO (Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena)
Teams 1 2 3 OT SO F
Albany 0 0 2 0 1 3
Binghamton 0 1 1 0 0 2
For the second straight night, the Devils rallied in the third period to knock off a fellow Empire State resident. Backed by 37 saves from Jeff Frazee and goals from Matt Anderson and Phil DeSimone, the Devils defeated the Senators, 3-2, in a shootout.
Trailing 2-0 in the third, Anderson and DeSimone scored at 5:24 and 10:21, respectively.
In the shootout, Mike Sislo and Chad Wiseman scored during the first and second rounds. Binghamton's Dustin Gazley scored in the fourth round and Hugh Jessiman extended the session with a goal in the fifth round. Joe Whitney provided the sixth round tally and Frazee shut the door on Chris Wideman for Albany's second shootout victory of the week.
THIS WEEK'S OPPONENTS
Wed., Feb. 13 & Mon., Feb. 18 vs. Syracuse Crunch (Times Union Center)
In three games last weekend, the Syracuse Crunch posted a 1-2-0-0 record. On home ice, they defeated the Adirondack Phantoms, 4-2, Friday and lost to the Devils, 4-3, Saturday. They then lost at the Adirondack Phantoms, 6-1, Sunday. Syracuse is 2-7-0-1 in its last 10 contests.
Tyler Johnson leads the team with 23 goals, including eight power-play goals, and 42 points. Additionally, he has produced 19 assists and a plus-18 rating. Brett Connelly is second with 40 points, backed by 19 goals and 21 helpers. Mark Barberio leads the defensive corps with 28 points, including six goals and 22 assists.
Between the pipes, Dustin Tokarski has played 33 games, producing an 18-8-4 record with a 2.46 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage. In two games against Albany, he is 1-1-0 with a 3.03 goals- against average and a .875 save percentage.
Fri., Feb. 15 at Adirondack Phantoms (Glens Falls Civic Center)
The Adirondack Phantoms, who are 4-5-1-0 in their last 10 games, went 1-2-0-0 in three outings last week. After falling 3-0 against the Binghamton Senators Wednesday and 4-2 at the Syracuse Crunch Friday, The Phantoms rebounded for a 6-1 victory against the Crunch Sunday.
Jason Akeson and Danny Syvret are first among active Phantoms with 24 points each. Akeson has registered seven goals and 17 assists, while Syvret has three goals and a team-leading 21 helpers. Harry Zolnierczyk, who is third with 17 points, leads the squad with nine tallies.
On Sunday, the Philadelphia Flyers recalled goaltender Brian Boucher. As a result, Cal Heeter was reassigned from the Trenton Titans (ECHL) to Adirondack. In the AHL this year, Heeter is 7-11-1 with a 2.97 goals- against average and a .906 save percentage.
Sun., Feb. 17 vs. Binghamton Senators (Times Union Center)
Last week, The Binghamton Senators earned points in two of three games. They earned a 3-0 victory at the Adirondack Phantoms Wednesday before a 4-3 loss at the Hershey Bears Saturday. Binghamton, which is 4-5-0- 1 in its last 10, followed with a 3-2 shootout loss against the Devils Sunday.
Mike Hoffman leads all active Binghamton players with 24 points, including 12 goals and 12 assists. Hugh Jessiman and Derek Grant are second and third with 21 and 20 points, respectively. Jessiman has nine goals and 12 helpers, while Grant has 14 tallies and six assists.
In goal, Robin Lehner has appeared in 28 games. He is 17-8-2 with a 1.87 goals- against average and and an AHL-best .945 save percentage. In three games against the Devils, he is 1-1-1 with a 2.60 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage. All-time Serie
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2013
- Porter Scores Two in Win over Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
- Back and Forth Affair Goes Peoria's Way - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Streak Ended by Crunch - Albany Devils
- Crunch Special Teams Power Past Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Emerson Etem Re-Joins Admirals from Ducks; Holland and Maroon Called up by Anaheim - Norfolk Admirals
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Penguins Assign McNeill to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Houston Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Kings Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
- It's Your Lucky Day for Season Tickets - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Campbell Agrees to Terms on AHL Contract - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sentry Alarms Presents a Hockey Double Header with Heart this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Drazenovic Recalled By Columbus, Cullity Assigned To Idaho - Springfield Falcons
- Marlies Sign Goaltender Drew Macintyre to PTO - Toronto Marlies
- SJ Sharks Reassign Right Wing Matt Pelech to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Rangers Assign Defenseman Steve Eminger to Connecticut for Conditioning - Connecticut Whale
- Whale's Version of "The Smurfs" Comes up Huge - Connecticut Whale
- Labatt Blue AHL Bubble Hockey Tournament of Champions Dates Announced - Springfield Falcons
- Button & Cross Head South - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Heat Announce Country Night - Abbotsford Heat
- Popular PBS Character Arthur to Visit Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Players To Participate In Interactive Hockey Event At Tower Square - Springfield Falcons
- Flames Reassign Goaltender Danny Taylor - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester Sharks Road Game That Postponed on February 10 Rescheduled - Worcester Sharks
- Coyotes Recall Rundblad, Assign Stone to Portland - Portland Pirates
- B-Sens Recall Goaltender Marc Cheverie from Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit Cup Crusaders - Worcester Sharks
- Hockey Weekend Across America Preview and Kevin Kaminski on latest Edition of Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Winnipeg Jets Jets Recall Eddie Pasquale from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Columbus Blue Jackets Name Jarmo Kekalainen General Manager - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Squeeze by Stars 2-1 in a Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms Weekly - Dax Bobblehead Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Heat Beaten 2-1 by Admirals to Open 12-Day Trip - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.