Albany Devils Fall Late in Shootout
WILKES-BARRE, PA - Despite Maxime Clermont's 29 saves in his season debut, the Albany Devils lost, 2-1, in a shootout against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Saturday at Mohegan Sun Arena. Albany, which entered the game on a three-game winning streak, extended its point streak to four games.
Clermont, who New Jersey reassigned to Albany from Elmira (ECHL) Thursday, appeared in his first AHL game since Apr. 15, 2012 versus Syracuse. Against the Penguins, he made seven saves in the first, 12 in the second, seven in the third and three in overtime. During the shootout, he denied the first three WB/Scranton tries before surrendering the final three.
The Devils led 1-0 during the first three rounds until WB/Scranton's Jayson Megna tied the game in the fourth. His teammate Tom Kostopoulos scored in the fifth, but was matched by Joe Whitney to extend the session. The Penguins Adam Payerl netted the winner in the sixth round.
With 26 saves in regulation and overtime and four saves in the shootout, WB/Scranton's Jeff Zatkoff earned his 18th win.
The Penguins got on the board at 9:25 of the first when Trevor Smith scored on the power-play. The Devils responded with a Darcy Zajac goal from Jacob Josefson and Scott Parse at 15:46 of the second.
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2013
- Brock Nelson nets game-winner late in regulation, Rick DiPietro makes 22 saves to earn win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Defeat Chicago, 2-1, on Military Appreciation Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Come up Short in Loss to Ads - Rockford IceHogs
- Barons Slip by Stars 5-4 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- PINK IN THE RINK NIGHT A SUCCESS AS FALCONS WIN IN SHOOTOUT - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Fall to Amerks in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Handle Griffins 4-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Give up Four Consecutive Goals in Loss to Peoria - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Start Back-To-Back with Shutout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Johnson's Solid Start Spoiled in Shootout against Sharks - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Get Bulled over by Rampage, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Defeat Rockford 3-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins End Home Stand with Shootout Win over Devils - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- DiPietro Nips Munroe in Bridgeport - Adirondack Phantoms
- Tokarski, Bulldogs Spook Monsters 2-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Albany Devils Fall Late in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Sateri Super with 37 Saves and Shuts Door in Shootout Win - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Fall to Falcons in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Admirals See Late Lead Vanish in Hershey - Norfolk Admirals
- IceCaps Set Back by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Stun Admirals with Late Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Jones Ices Caps - Manchester Monarchs
- Toronto Falls 4-2 against Binghamton - Toronto Marlies
- B-Sens Defeat Marlies, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Kings Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
- Julseth-White Signed to PTO - Providence Bruins
- Hogs Seek Lucky Number Seven - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #54 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Assign Louis Domingue to Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Aeros Fall to Heat 4-2 - Houston Aeros
- Pirates Go Purple to Face Sharks in Portland - Portland Pirates
- Heat Rally in 4-2 Win over Aeros - Abbotsford Heat
- Rockford Extends Streak to Six, Downs Peoria 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Drop 5-1 Decision to Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Montreal Canadiens Recall Gabriel Dumont - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Power Play Pushes 'Hogs Past Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Holland, McMillan Lead Charge as Admirals Rout Checkers - Norfolk Admirals
- Nyquist's Three-Point Night Lifts Griffins Past Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.