Akron Tops Trenton 6-1 to Start Trip
(Akron, OH) - Akron scored four runs in the second inning and never looked back in defeating Trenton 6-1 Thursday night at Canal Park in the Thunder's first road game of the season. Kyle Bellows' three-run home run highlighted the early big inning and T.J. McFarland (2-0) made it hold with six shutout innings.
Trenton starter Brett Marshall (1-1) gave up back-to-back hits to Nick Weglarz and Ryan Rohlinger to start the second, but then struck out Thomas Neal for the first out of the inning. Bellows followed with his first long ball of the season, a soaring shot deep to left. Juan Diaz picked up a two-out RBI single later in the frame.
McFarland was in command thereafter, at one point retiring 11 consecutive Thunder batters. He allowed three hits and one walk in his six innings pitched while striking out four.
Marshall lasted four innings and was charged with five runs (earned) on nine hits and two walks. He struck out four in losing for the first time in the Eastern League.
Ronnier Mustelier picked up an RBI single to plate Trenton's lone run in the eight, one of his two hits on the night. Bellows went 2-for-2 with two walks, two runs scored and three RBI to pace Akron's ten-hit attack
The series continues Friday night with game two scheduled for a 7:05 first pitch at Canal Park. Thunder right-hander Cory Arbiso (0-0) is expected to pitch against Akron righty Steven Wright (0-0). Radio coverage on 91.3 FM (WTSR) and streaming online begins at 6:50 pm.
Eastern League Stories from April 12, 2012
- Akron Tops Trenton 6-1 to Start Trip - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Drop Home Opener to Bowie 6-1 - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Win Home Opener, 6-1 Over Trenton Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Pick up Second Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Fall in their Home Opener to Reading 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Drop First Road Game of 2012, 7-3 - Altoona Curve
- Stevenson and Squirrels Too Much for Curve on Opening Night, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Welcome Big Crowd But Drop First 2012 Game in NH - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Mets Spoil Sea Dogs Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Bundle Offense Early in 5-1 Win - Binghamton Mets
- SeaWolves Announce PDC Extension with Detroit Tigers - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Add INF Mahoney and P Rondon; Place Three on DL - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Firstenergy Stadium to Host Touch-A-Truck 2012 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Try out Basketball - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Vs. Bowie Baysox - - Game One of Four - - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.