Aguila's Four-Hit Night Not Enough
Roidany Aguila matched a career high with four hits but the South Bend Silver Hawks (65-70, 30-35) dropped their sixth straight game, falling 7-3 to the Lansing Lugnuts in front of 1,846 fans at Coveleski Stadium. The Silver Hawks are in the midst of a season-long losing streak and are five games back of Fort Wayne with five to play.
Shawn Griffith (2-1) earned the win for Lansing, allowing just one hit over 3.1 scoreless innings. Conrad Flynn (0-1) took the loss for the Silver Hawks and allowed five earned runs on 10 hits over six innings. The right-hander walked two and struck out five.
The Silver Hawks did not hold a lead in the game and have only led for two innings in their last two games.
K.C. Hobson and Shane Opitz each hit home runs for the Lugnuts.
In the first inning Matt Helm stroked an RBI single. Brian Billigen knocked in a pair with a two-run single in the fourth inning.
Right-hander Kable Hogben worked two scoreless innings out of the Silver Hawks bullpen. Kaleb Fleck worked the final inning and allowed two earned runs on two hits.
The Silver Hawks finished 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base in the game.
The Silver Hawks and Lugnuts play the second game of a three-game series Thursday at Coveleski Stadium. Right-hander Archie Bradley (11-6, 3.88) takes on Aaron Sanchez (8-4, 2.29). First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. EST. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com .
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2012
- Bees Can't Fend off Clinton, 6-3 - Burlington Bees
- Two More for Paolini in 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Rally Late to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Behind Early, Can't Catch Up Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Votto Returns But Dragons Fall 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Aguila's Four-Hit Night Not Enough - South Bend Silver Hawks
- 'Caps Take Care of Business, Toss Three-Hitter - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lugs win 80th, blast past Silver Hawks, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Stall Hot Rods 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- Needy Goes the Distance in 1-0 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Vettleson Hits 15th Jack But Road Streak Ends - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Dalton Pompey Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Argo, Sawyer Received from Princeton - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lugs' Tamargo Named MWL Manager of the Year, Pillar Honored as MVP - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Snappers Named Midwest League Post Season All-Stars - Beloit Snappers
- Hedges and Portillo Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps' Stites to Play in Arizona Fall League - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Release 2013 Schedule on September 4th - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Garcia, Walsh Named Postseason All-Stars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday for August 29 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Update - Burlington Bees
- 2012 MWL Post-Season All-Star Team Announced - MWL
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: September 1-3 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Gary Mitchell Promoted to Inland Empire - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Waldrop, Mugarian Are Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Win Second-Half Western Division - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Swept by Clinton in 6-5, 13-Inning Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.