Aeros Win Second Straight Wednesday, 5-2
AKRON, OH - The Aeros offense continued to heat up Wednesday night at Canal Park in front of 1,152 fans. The bullpen had another solid showing as they did not allow a run to cross the plate in the final three innings. The Aeros are going for a series win tomorrow morning as they send Scott Barnes (0-3) to the hill as he goes for his first win of the 2010 season.
Trenton scored first with two runs in the top of the first inning off Aeros starting pitcher Ryan Edell, who only allowed two runs in his six innings of work. Edell settled into a nice groove after a rocky first inning. The Aeros offense continued to stay hot against the Thunder, plating two runs in the fourth inning and another three in the sixth inning. Cord Phelps, who is currently leading the Eastern League in batting average hit his second triple in as many nights, driving in Carlos Rivero to make the score 4-2. Jared Goedert connected with his third home run of the year after Phelps connect with his triple making the score 5-2, which puts Goedert one behind Nick Weglarz for the team lead. Vinnie Pestano came into the game for the second night in a row and again closed the door as the Aeros won 5-2. Pestano worked one inning and recorded his second save of the season.
Ryan Edell (1-1) recorded his first win of the season against the Thunder after going six strong innings, allowing two runs, walking none and striking out one. The Aeros bullpen put together another solid performance, allowing no runs in three innings of work. Indians' closer Kerry Wood came into the game in the seventh inning and had a much better outing than in his last appearance. Wood walked one, struck out two batters, and allowed no runs in his second and final rehab appearance with Akron. Ryan Pope (0-3) took the loss Wednesday night after allowing five runs on six hits through a little over five innings of work. Cord Phelps led the way offensively, finishing 2-4 with two RBI. Phelps currently leads the Eastern League with an impressive .395 batting average. Mills also ended the night with two hits, including a double to right field.
The Aeros final game of the homestand is tomorrow before departing for a weeklong road trip, where they will face the Reading Phillies and Erie Seawolves. Left-hander Scott Barnes (0-3, 8.71 ERA), who last pitched against the Binghamton Mets, will go for Akron against Thunder left-hander Jeremy Bleich (1-2, 4.62 ERA). Indians' closer Kerry Wood finished his home rehab stint with the Aeros Wednesday night, no word on whether he will be sent out on another rehab assignment or head back to Cleveland to join the Tribe bullpen.
Don't miss out on the final game of the homestand tomorrow morning with the first pitch at 10:35 a.m. The game broadcast begins at 10:15 a.m. on SportsRadio 1350 WARFAM and online at www.akronaeros.com. The Aeros return to Canal Park for a four-game homestand May 13-16. For more information, please call the Aeros at (330) 253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from May 5, 2010
- Johnson KOs Senators - Bowie Baysox
- Erie Snaps B-Mets Win Streak with 4-2 Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Gimenez Has Career Night; Curve Win Again 5-2 - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Push Senators to Brink of Sweep - Harrisburg Senators
- Gimenez's Homers Enough for Altoona, 5-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Win Second Straight Wednesday, 5-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Thames Goes 4-for-4 with 2 RBIs in 9-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Thunder Go Quiet in 5-2 Loss - Trenton Thunder
- Naylor Sharp, R-Phils Win Second-Straight with 2-1 Victory Wednesday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Naylor's Nice As Phillies Edge Sea Dogs, 2-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ryan Howard Garden Gnome Named Best Promotion by ESPN - Reading Fightin Phils
- Altoona Curve Game Notes: 5/5 At Richmond - Altoona Curve
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes - 05/05 Vs. Bowie - Harrisburg Senators
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Unveil New Look For Baysox.Com - Bowie Baysox
- Young Catcher Will Join Rock Cats Tomorrow - New Britain Rock Cats
- Catcher Danny Lehmann Goes On Disabled List - New Britain Rock Cats
- 3000 Runners Expected for Sea Dogs Mother's Day 5K - Portland Sea Dogs
- Redskins' Great Joe Washington To Appear At The Diamond On May 13th - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Make Transactions - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.