Aeros Win Home Opener, 6-1 Over Trenton Thunder
AKRON, OH- The Akron Aeros (4-2) opened their 2012 home debut with a bang over the Trenton Thunder (3-4), courtesy of a second-inning three-run blast by Kyle Bellows at Canal Park in front of 6,847 fans.
Following back-to-back singles by Nick Weglarz and Ryan Rohlinger, the Aeros jumped out to a 3-0 second inning-lead thanks to a three-run blast to left off the bat of Kyle Bellows. Tim Fedroff reached base on a booted ball by second baseman Kevin Mahoney and reached second on a wild pitch by Brett Marshall. Juan Diaz singled past second, plating Fedroff to give the Aeros a 4-0 advantage. In the bottom of the fourth, Bellows reached base on a one out single to left. After swiping second base, Roberto Perez singled to center, advancing Bellows to third. Fedroff hits into a force out to center, forcing Perez out at second, allowing Bellows to score, giving the Aeros a 5-0 lead.
Aeros starter T.J. McFarland earned his second victory of the season, going six scoreless innings, allowing just three hits, one walk and fanning four. Reliever Bryce Stowell pitched a scoreless seventh inning, striking out two of the three batters he faced. Matt Langwell entered the game in the eighth, yielding two hits and a run. Preston Guilmet ended the game, allowing a hit, a walk and striking out two.
The Aeros will host the Trenton Thunder at Canal Park at 7:05 p.m. Right-handed pitcher Steven Wright (1-0, 1.80 ERA) will face fellow right-hander Cory Arisbo (0-0, 2.25 ERA) of Trenton. Tomorrow night is Led Zeppelin fireworks presented by Wing Warehouse. The game broadcast begins at 6:50 on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from April 12, 2012
- Akron Tops Trenton 6-1 to Start Trip - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Drop Home Opener to Bowie 6-1 - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Win Home Opener, 6-1 Over Trenton Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Pick up Second Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Fall in their Home Opener to Reading 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Drop First Road Game of 2012, 7-3 - Altoona Curve
- Stevenson and Squirrels Too Much for Curve on Opening Night, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Welcome Big Crowd But Drop First 2012 Game in NH - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Mets Spoil Sea Dogs Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Bundle Offense Early in 5-1 Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- SeaWolves Announce PDC Extension with Detroit Tigers - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Add INF Mahoney and P Rondon; Place Three on DL - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Firstenergy Stadium to Host Touch-A-Truck 2012 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Try out Basketball - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Vs. Bowie Baysox - - Game One of Four - - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.