Admrials Featured in Sports Illustarted/Weekly Notes
CHRIS MUELLER...Admirals forward Chris Mueller scored the game-winning goal on Friday night, marking the second straight game that he has knotted the GWG for the Ads. It was first time that the same player had scored the game-winner in back-to-back games for the Admirals since Mueller did it in Lake Erie on Nov. 12 and 13, 2010.
The Buffalo, NY native now leads the team with nine goals on the season and is tied for the team lead with 14 points. He is second in Admirals AHL history in career goals with 78 tied for sixth in scoring with Greg Classen at 151 points. Mueller is just one of three players to top the 30-goal plateau in a season since the team joined the AHL back in 2001, as he lit the lamp 32 times in 2011-12.
COMEBACK KIDS... Mueller's deflection of a Jon Blum shot on Friday night for the game-winning goal with just 20 seconds remaining culminated a furious comeback for the Admirals that saw them score twice in the last 85 seconds to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 win. It was the latest Milwaukee had tallied a game-winner since March 28 of last season when Kyle Wilson scored with just four seconds remaining in OT to beat Houston. It also marked their second straight game against the Wolves where the Ads trailed late in the third before coming back to win.
DECEMBER TO REMEMBER?...The Admirals hope to keep up their recent winning ways in the month of December, particularly on home ice. Milwaukee finished up the final month of the year in 2011 by going 7-0 at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. The last time they lost on home ice in December was back on December 28, 2011 and in the past four seasons the Admirals have accumulated an impressive 22-3-1-1 record, an .852 winning percentage, at home in December.
UP AND BACK...With just one game on the docket for the Admirals, the team assigned goalie Magnus Hellberg to Cincinnati over the weekend to log some minutes with the Cyclones. Hellberg played in both of Cincinnati's games, posting a 1-1 record and stopping 60 of 65 shots thrown his way, good for a .923 save %. The Uppsala, Sweden native is 3-0 with a 3.82 GAA and a .862 save % in five contests with Milwaukee
NATIONAL EXPOSURE...The Admirals received some national exposure last week when they were featured in the most recent edition of Sports Illustrated (December 3 with Andrew Luck on the cover). The two-page spread (pg. 6-7) features Admirals goalie Jeremy Smith making a save in a road game against Chicago on November 20 as defensemen Ryan Ellis and Mattias Ekholm and forward Mark Van Guilder look-on. It's the first time an action shot of an Admirals game has been in SI. However, the team was featured in the magazine back in 2009 when they hosted a "Don't Be Like Mike Night" after gold-medal winning swimmer Michael Phelps was pictured smoking marijuana.
Nov. 30 Admirals 3, Chicago 2
Box Score - Game Recap
December 5 vs. Texas, 7:00 pm
December 7 at Rockford, 7:05 pm
December 9 at Charlotte 2 pm
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2012
- Paradis Reassigned to Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Assign Defenseman Cullity To Steelheads - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Aim to Reclaim First in Busy Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Konan Reassigned to Adirondack - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Sign Mannino - Manchester Monarchs
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Admirals Look to Carry Momentum into D.C., Binghamton - Norfolk Admirals
- Former Crunch Captain Zenon Konopka Returns to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Admrials Featured in Sports Illustarted/Weekly Notes - Milwaukee Admirals
- DiSalvatore, Potulny Named Alternate Captains - Hershey Bears
- Hamilton Bulldogs Reassign Alain Berger and Joe Stejskal - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Penguins Sign Farnham to AHL Contract - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mallet Sent to Kalamazoo - Chicago Wolves
- Hamilton Bulldogs Teaming up with Hamilton Police for Ride Ticket Program - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Winnipeg Jets Jacob Trouba Invited to Team USA World Junior Championship Selection Camp - St. John's IceCaps
- Barons to Paint Habitat for Humanity on December 6 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Shop For Falcons Gear At Tower Square - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.