Adirondack Defeats Atlanta 6-1
Atlanta was unable to contain the Adirondack offense as they battled penalties all game and fell by a score of 6-1 to the Thunder in their first ever matchup at the Glens Falls Civic Center on Sunday night.
Adirondack opened the scoring for the night 6:49 into the first period. After Matt Ginn robbed Conor Riley on a shot from the point, Cullen Bradshaw collected the rebound and buried the goal to put the Thunder ahead 1-0. The tally was the Alberta native's fourth of the season, while Riley increased his assist total to seven with the lone helper.
The same two players would connect at the 12:47 mark of the opening frame to give the home team a 2-0 lead. Bradshaw wristed a shot towards the net from the far side that rebounded off Ginn and landed at the feet of Riley, who knocked the puck in for his seventh of the year.
Just 3:11 into the second period, the Thunder struck once again to increase their lead to 3-0. Roman Dyukov netted his second goal of the season with a snap-shot from the near circle that snuck through Ginn to cross the goal line. Both Ryan Culkin and Austin Orszulak were credited with an assist on the play.
The Thunder would add a power play goal 7:07 into the third period move ahead by four. James Henry potted his 19th goal of the season after a pass from behind the net found the forward wide open at the back door. The tally was assisted by Dennis Kravchenko, and gave Adirondack the 4-0 lead.
Atlanta would break the shutout at the 11:07 mark of the final frame. AJ White scored his fourth goal of the year with a wide-open shot to the left of Adirondack's goaltender, J.P. Anderson. Trevor Mingoia and Mark Naclerio both notched an assist on the Gladiators only goal of the night.
The home team then responded to regain a four-goal lead and increase the score to 5-1 with just over seven minutes remaining in the game. Kevin Lough sent a hard shot from the point that floated through traffic in front and made contact with the back of the net for his third goal of the year. J.C. Campagna picked up the lone assist on the score.
Campagna would then double his point total for the night and score another power play goal on the Thunder's ninth man advantage of the contest to give Adirondack a 6-1 lead. The rookie tapped in his second goal of the year after a loose puck trickled to his feet in front of the net. Alex Wall and Kravchenko grabbed the assists on the game's final goal.
The loss dropped Atlanta to 24-30-6-2 on the season and kept the Gladiators in sixth in the South Division with 56 points. Adirondack jumped to third in the North Division with 76 points and a record of 33-20-6-4 after the win.
Up next, the Gladiators return home for one game on Wednesday night against the Stingrays before they ensue on a six-game road trip. The puck drops at 7:05 PM at the Infinite Energy Arena between Atlanta and South Carolina on March 24th.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
Images from this story
Adirondack Defeats Atlanta 6-1 in Gladiators' First Ever Game in Glens Falls
ECHL Stories from March 19, 2017
- Defenseman Justin Hamonic Returns to Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Adirondack Defeats Atlanta 6-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mallards Clinch Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Earn a Point in Overtime Loss to Walleye - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Survives Epic Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Fuel Explode for Six First-Period Goals; Hang on for 8-7 Win over Mallards - Indy Fuel
- Jackals Top the Nailers 6-5 in Overtime - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Earn Six of Eight Points on Road Trip - Wheeling Nailers
- Fucale Slams the Door as Beast Shut out Komets - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - March 19 - ECHL
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot 3-19-17 - Wheeling Nailers
- GAMEDAY - ADIRONDACK (32-20-5-4) vs. ATLANTA - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Upend Aces in Shootout Saturday - Alaska Aces
- Recap: Cyclones Break out the Brooms in Alaska - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Rally Falls Short - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Power Past 'Blades in Third Period for 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Third Period Haunts Thunder in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap --- Zahn's Gordie Howe Hat Trick Propels Colorado to 4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Beast Move Back into First Place with Big Win over Elmira - Brampton Beast
- Rays Surge Past Greenville in 7-5 Thriller - South Carolina Stingrays
- Power Play Comes Alive for Solar Bears in 5-3 Win over Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.