Ackley Named To NCAA College World Series Legends Team
HUNTSVILLE, AL. (May 5, 2010) - Jaxx infielder Dustin Ackley has been selected as one of 28 members of the NCAA Men's College World Series Legends Team. The CWS Legends Team represents those players and coaches who had the best CWS performances throughout the 60 years the Series has been played at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, Nebraska. Ackley's selection to the team was the result of over 100,000 votes cast by baseball fans, sports writers and head coaches.
The CWS Legends Team is one of several tributes being planned in conjunction with the 2010 NCAA Men's College World Series as the event moves out of Rosenblatt Stadium and gets set to move into a new, state-of-the-art ballpark in downtown Omaha in 2011.
"It is truly an honor to be selected to this team." said Diamond Jaxx second baseman, Dustin Ackley. "To be in the same category with Hall of Fame Major Leaguers is really special. I have to give all the credit to my teammates and coaches. Without them, we would have never been good enough to make it to the College World Series three straight years, and I would have never had the opportunity to make the legends team." added Ackley.
The team consists of 28 members: two former student-athletes per fielding position, four pitchers, two designated hitters, three head coaches and two "utility players".
All CWS Legends Team members will be announced on-field during the CWS Opening Ceremonies on Friday, June 18. Since the Diamond Jaxx will be playing at Pringles Park on June 18, Dustin will have a video acceptance played in Omaha.
"It's really remarkable when you stop and think about all of the great student-athletes who have participated in the College World Series for the past 60 years at Omaha's Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium," said Jack Diesing Jr., president of College World Series of Omaha, Inc. "CWS fans have come to love and appreciate the passion these student-athletes brought to the Series, so it is appropriate that the fans have this opportunity to help select the CWS Legends Team."
Southern League Stories from May 5, 2010
- Complete Effort Lifts Jaxx over Stars - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Fail to Convert in 2-1 Loss to Mobile Wednesday - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Overcome 13 Tennessee Hits to Take Game One - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Shut Out Chattanooga - Carolina Mudcats
- Ackley Named To NCAA College World Series Legends Team - Jackson Generals
- Larry Tye, Satchel Paige Biographer, Coming To Hank Aaron Stadium On May 15 - Mobile BayBears
- Another Day, Another Walk-Off Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Mississippi Wins in Extras - Mississippi Braves
- Late Error Dooms Suns - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Harbin Returns From Disabled List Tonight - Mobile BayBears
- Huntsville Stars Announce Transactions - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Battle Barons For Five Games This Week - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.