Aces Roll to Season-Opening Victory Over Sky Sox, 5-2
RENO, Nev.-A.J. Pollock reached safely four times in his Triple-A debut Thursday night, as the Reno Aces opened the 2012 campaign with a 5-2 victory over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at Aces Ballpark.
The Sky Sox put a run on the board in the first to take a quick advantage, but Reno answered with four in the third to take a lead it would not relinquish.
Aces starter Barry Enright (1-0) earned the victory after scattering two runs on five hits over 5.2 innings of work. Enright walked three and struck out three. Out of the Reno bullpen, Sam Demel punched-out the only batter he faced, Jason Lane worked a spotless 1.1 frames, and Jonathan Albaladejo retired both batters he faced. Jensen Lewis came on in the ninth and slammed the door for his first save of the season.
The loss fell to Colorado Springs starter Christian Friedrich (0-1), who surrendered four runs on six hits over five innings. Friedrich punched-out six and walked two.
At the dish for Reno, Pollock, Taylor Harbin and Jake Elmore each registered two hits. In the four-run Aces third, RBI singles for Pollock, Evan Frey and Randy Ruiz-coupled with a sacrifice fly off the bat of Ryan Wheeler-gave Reno all the cushion it would need.
The series continues on Friday night at Aces Ballpark. RHP Chris Jakubauskas (0-0, No ERA) gets the nod for Reno, while the Sky Sox will counter with RHP Guillermo Moscoso (0-0, No ERA). First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. PT, and the night will be highlighted by the first Saint Mary's Fireworks Friday presented by KRNV News 4 of the season.
Tickets are on-sale now at RenoAces.com, by calling (775) 334-7000 or by visiting the Aces Ballpark Ticket Office.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 6, 2012
- Z's Walk off on 12th Inning Error - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Take Friday Night Win, 12-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Fall to the Isotopes, 5-2, on Friday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Drop Extra-Inning Affair in New Orleans, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Power to First Win, 5-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Even Series at Iowa 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers S.H.I.E.L.D. Night - Tacoma Rainiers
- Esmailin Caridad Added to I-Cubs Roster - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - April 6, 2012 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Iowa Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Storm Chasers Beat the Isotopes, 8-4, on Opening Night - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rainiers Drop Season Opener to Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Take Season-Opener Over Las Vegas, 11-6 - Sacramento River Cats
- Padres Still Looking for First Run of 2012 - Tucson Padres
- Aces Roll to Season-Opening Victory Over Sky Sox, 5-2 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.