Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark for EightMay 2, 2014 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Salt Lake Bees
The Bees have had a flair for the dramatics as of late, playing in five consecutive one-run games which included three extra innings affairs. Overall the Bees have played 12 one-run games already this year, compiling a 5-7 record.
The Bees and Aces last met less than a week ago in Reno, with Salt Lake earning a split of the four-game series. So far this season the Bees have split five of seven series.
After a slow start the Bees pitching staff has been performing much better. In each of the last three games the starting pitcher has thrown at least seven innings, marking three of the four times that feat has been accomplished this season. The rotation against the Aces will start with Matt Shoemaker taking the hill on Friday night, followed by a trio of lefties, Jose Alvarez, Justin Thomas and Wade LeBlanc.
At the plate the Bees have continued to hit well and rank second in the PCL in runs scored. C.J. Cron leads the PCL in doubles (12) and extra-base hits (18) and is third in the league in total bases (62) and RBIs (24). Fellow infielder Grant Green leads the circuit with 28 RBIs.
The homestand with Reno includes plenty of fun for fans, starting with a giveaway of the 1994 Salt Lake Buzz team poster on Friday night. Saturday will be the annual Pack the Park Pink night. The Bees will wear special jerseys and hats to commemorate the occasion. Jerseys and hats will be auctioned off on the concourse during the game with all proceeds going to Huntsman Cancer Foundation and the game will conclude with a fireworks show. Monday, May 5 will be Revenge of the Fifth, a Star Wars night that will include plenty of characters and fun for fans of the iconic movie franchise. Tickets for all games are available by calling 801-325-BEES or online with no fees at www.slbees.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 2, 2014
- Chihuahuas beat Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Hot Hitting Makes Memphis 9-3 Winner - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Draw Largest May Crowd in 9-3 Loss to Redbirds - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Uses the Force to Defeat Zephyrs - Round Rock Express
- Tomko Gets Limited Support in 3-1 Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Drop Fourth in a Row, Lose 8-5 in Round Rock - New Orleans Zephyrs
- RedHawks Take Omaha Opener, 3-1 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Win Series Opener, 4-3 - Nashville Sounds
- RHP Patterson, RHP Struck Join Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark for Eight - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Game at Fresno to be Televised on CBS Sports Network - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 2, 2014 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Albuquerque Downs Salt Lake in Extra Innings - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Pounded in Finale; Split in Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- River Cats Slug Their Way to Series Split - Sacramento River Cats
- Zephyrs Fall to Nashville in Extra Innings - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Fresno blanks Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.