Three-Goal Third Keys Komets ComebackOctober 9, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Wheeling Nailers
Despite being whistled for four minor penalties during the first period, the Komets were able to take the lead, thanks to a shorthanded goal. Chris Auger won an offensive zone face-off ahead to Scott Fleming, who squeezed a shot into the left side of the net. Wheeling outshot Fort Wayne 11-9 in the opening frame, but trailed 1-0 at the intermission.
In the second period, the Nailers turned the game in their favor. Peter Mannino kicked out a shot from the right circle, quickly sending Max MacKay down the right side of the ice. When he reached the right circle, MacKay picked the top corner over Max Strang's glove, tying the game at one. 55 seconds later, Wheeling took the lead on a power play goal. Scott Zurevinski received a pass at the bottom of the left circle, before slipping a pass through the crease to Zack Torquato, who banged in his first marker of the preseason. With 1:54 left in the period, the Nailers extended their lead, when Max MacKay found Tyler Fernandez for a tap-in, which also took place on the right side of the crease.
Unfortunately for the home team, Fort Wayne had a strong start to the third period, tying the game with two goals in the first 3:35 of the stanza. Joe Hartman brought the Komets within one with his wrist shot from the right point, before Auger roofed a shot from the slot for the equalizer. With 6:49 to go, the visitors took the lead for good, as Kevin Walrod followed up Scott Fleming's shot, scoring on the rebound, giving the game a 4-3 final score in favor of Fort Wayne.
Max Strang earned the win for the Komets, making 29 saves on 32 shots. Alex Westlund took the loss for Wheeling, allowing three goals on eight shots, in relief of Peter Mannino who stopped 21 of 22 shots.
The Nailers will be in Reading on Friday night for a 7:05 face-off, in the first of two road preseason tilts over the weekend. Wheeling's regular season opener takes place on October 18th at 7:00 against Elmira.
ECHL Stories from October 9, 2013
- K-Wings Win Preseason Opener 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Keys Komets Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Rauch Back with the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - October 9 - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Walleye Preseason - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wranglers Add Greg Coburn to Blue Line - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Royals Receive Three More from Hershey - Reading Royals
- Condors Add Cemetery Plot Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Stingrays Add AHL Experience with Forward Jordan Owens - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL to Participate in Sixth Annual PrimeTime Sports Management Conference - ECHL
- Forward Nathan Moon Resigns with IceMen for 2013-14 Hockey Season - Evansville IceMen
- Everblades Assigned Milan, Gauthier from AHL Syracuse - Florida Everblades
- Aces drop preseason opener despite late rally at Sullivan Arena - Alaska Aces
- Cyclones Prevail over Aces in Preseason Opener, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.