Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Sunday, September 1) at HuntsvilleSeptember 1, 2013 - Southern League (SL) - Jackson Generals
Streak: Lost 1
Site: Joe Davis Stadium - Huntsville, Alabama
Time: 4:03 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: RHP Trevor Miller (3-1, 4.01) vs. RHP Ariel Pena (7-9, 3.87)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (6:28) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY'S GAME: the Generals continue their final series of the season tonight with the game #4 of a 5-game road series with the Huntsville Stars (2-1)...this season Jackson is 9-7 against the Stars and 5-3 at Hank Aaron Stadium...this is the first start time before 5:00 p.m. for Jackson since a 4:00 p.m. start on July 7, at Pensacola.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 2 runs in the 6th inning and 1 in the 9th inning, but it wasn't enough as Jackson lost to Huntsville 3-5 on Saturday. DH Ramon Morla (2x4, 2B, 2 RBI) led the team with 2 hits, while 3B Gabriel Noriega (1x4, R), SS Chris Taylor (1x3, BB, SB), C John Hicks (1x4, 2B, RBI) and 2B Jack Marder (1x3, R, 2B) each recorded 1 of the Generals 6 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (6.0,7,5,5,3,3,HR) recorded his 8th loss of the season, allowing 5 runs on 7 hits in 6.0 innings. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.0,1,0,0,1,2) and RH Kevin McCoy (1.0,1,0,0,2,1) combined to hold the Stars scoreless over the final 2.0 innings in relief.
NEWS & NOTES: 47 of 133 games have been 1-run games (20-27) which is the T-1st in the Southern League...68 of 133 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (26-42) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)...In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 33-27.
- BLASH-T OFF IN DOUBLE-A: OF Jabari Blash has hit safely in 18 of 26 games since being promoted to Jackson, batting .319 (29x91) with 13 runs scored, 3 doubles, 9 home runs, 21 RBI and 19 walks. Blash homered twice in the 4th inning on Friday and has 25 home runs this season leading all of Mariners Minor Leaguers. His 5 RBIs during the 4th inning was the most in a single inning in franchise history.
- NO DOG DAYS FOR TAYLOR: INF Chris Taylor finished up the month of August batting .333 (39x117) with 22 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 8 RBI, 18 walks and 10 stolen bases in 31 games in August.
- BLACK JACK IS BACK: INF Jack Marder currently has a 5-game hitting streak, batting .500 (9x18) with 2 runs scored, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 BB and 1 stolen base. In his last 10 games he is batting .343 with 3 runs, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 2 RBIs and 3 walks.
- 3-HOMER GAME FOR PROSCIA: INF Steven Proscia hit 3 solo home runs on Aug. 26 vs. Chattanooga. It was his 8th career multi-home run game and 2nd this season (last: 2, 6/23 vs. Mobile w/Jackson). It also marks his 3rd career 3-home run game (also: 4/19/12 vs. Inland Empire and 7/14/12 vs. Stockton w/High Desert). He is 1 of 24 minor league players to hit at least 3 home runs this season, but the first Mariners farmhand.
- THE SEATTLE GENERALS: Taijuan Walker and Abraham Almonte became the 9th and 10th different 2012 General to make their MLB debut this season for the Mariners last night...they joined Mike Zunino, Jesus Sucre, Brandon Bantz, Brad Miller, Nick Franklin, Yoervis Medina, Brandon Maurer and Bobby LaFromboise... Seattle had 8 MLB debuts in 2012, and 12 during the 2011 season.
- WALKER WINS AND MAKES HISTORY IN MLB DEBUT FRIDAY: Taijuan Walker became the youngest Mariners starting pitcher to win his MLB debut last night at 21.017 years of age...Walker is just the 11th pitcher in Mariners history to win his starting debut; he is just the second (joining Pat Rice, 5/18/91 @NYY) to not allow an earned run AND record a win...Erik Hanson (9/5/88 @MIN) is the only other starter to allow 0 ER in his debut, but he lost 2-0.
- GENERALS WELL REPRESENTED IN AFL: There are 3 current Generals headed to play for the Peoria Javelinas in the prestegious Arizona Fall League. Infielder Chris Taylor and relievers Carson Smith and Dominic Leone will represent Jackson along with former Generals Danny Hultzen, Brandon Maurer, Stefen Romero and High Desert infielder Patrick Kivlehan. The squad will be managed by Jackson's Jim Pankovits.
- BLASH NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: OF Jabari Blash was named Southern League Player of the Week, for Aug. 19-25. In 9 games last week, Blash led the Southern Leauge in average (.500/12x24), on-base percentage (1.526) and walks (14). Overall he hit .500 (12x24) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 14 walks. Blash was promoted to AA Jackson from A High Desert on Aug. 2. In 22 game, he is batting .315 (23x73) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles, 6 home runs, 12 RBI and 18 walks.
- CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith has allowed only 1 earned run over his last 27.2 innings (0.33 ERA), including 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings (since July 23). After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 37 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 11 saves and a 1.03 ERA (5 ER, 43.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.84. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 38 of 43 games (70 strikeouts).
- THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 33.0 innings (0.82 ERA). During this 19-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 with 1 save.
Southern League Stories from September 1, 2013
- M-Braves Playoff Hopes Ebb in 3-0 Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Suns' 3-0 Win Set up Clinch Scenario on Monday - Jacksonville Suns
- Smokies' Jackson Breaks Tie, Trips Lookouts In 9th - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stars Shutout Generals, Even Series at Two - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Mount Late Comeback in 4-3 Win over Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Smith Leads Wahoos over BayBears 5-1 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Silenced By Stars Sunday; Rubber Match Forced - Jackson Generals
- Thompson Homers Twice in 7-1 Win over the Biscuits - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Blow by Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bell, Costanzo Promoted to Louisville - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Sunday, September 1) at Huntsville - Jackson Generals
- Owings, Stars Snap Skid Against Generals - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Rally Late to Sink M-Braves 5-3 - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Stun Wahoos with Three-Run Ninth - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Stun Wahoos with Three-Run Ninth - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.