Power vs. RiverDogs - Game Notes - August 20, 2013August 20, 2013 - South Atlantic League (SAL) West Virginia Power
PLAYOFF CHASE: Hagerstown split their doubleheader Tuesday with the Asheville Tourists. The Suns' loss in game one temporarily put West Virginia a half game ahead in the division. After the Power lost the game and the Suns won game two, the Power remain a half game back. West Virginia lead Hickory by 1.5 games overall in standings.
LIVING ON THE HIGHWAY: West Virginia begins a six-day road trip where the Power will play seven games. The seven games consist of three-game series against the Charleston RiverDogs, who West Virginia is 1-5 against this season. After the series against the Yankees farm club, the Power travel to Savannah, Georgia, for four games including a doubleheader Saturday against the Sand Gnats. The Power are 34-28 on the road this season and went 4-3 in their last road trip.
NOT MUCH HOSPITALITY: The Power will conclude the 2013 season by playing opponents exclusively in the Southern Division. West Virginia holds a record 22-25 against Southern Division teams including just one win against the RiverDogs. The Power have dominated the Northern Division with 50 wins in 79 games.
LOOKING AHEAD: West Virginia has 13 games left this season and only three at Appalachian Power Park. When the Power finish this road trip Sunday afternoon in Savannah, the team will return home and have an off-day Monday. The Power will play three against the Asheville Tourists beginning Tuesday in the final homestand of the 2013 season. West Virginia has 38 wins at home this season.
RECORD WATCH: Josh Bell collected his 37th double of the season in the first inning of Sunday's win. Bell is three doubles away from tying Dan Gamache's 2012 club record of 40. Walker Gourley's 32 stolen bases ranks ninth in club history with 2011 Power Drew Maggi and Eric Farris from the 2008 club.
SURE THING: West Virginia closer Jhondaniel Medina collected his team high ninth save Sunday, working a three-batter inning. Medina's nine save is tied for seventh most in Power history. 2012 Power Nate Kilcrease holds the club record with 15 saves. Medina joined the Power June 6th from Bradenton and is 2-1 with a 1.61 ERA in 23 games with the Power. Opponents are hitting .150 against Medina in 28.0 innings pitched. Medina was acquired by the Pittsburgh Pirates last offseason in a trade for Yamaico Navarro.
POWER POINTS: Tyler Glasnow added seven strikeouts in four innings Friday for a total of 147 this season, tied for seventh most in Charleston South Atlantic League history... The 72 wins by the Power this season are the most since the affiliation with the Pirates began in 2009...Fransico Aponte was promoted to the Power roster after third baseman Eric Wood was placed on the disabled list August 15...Thomas Harlan's nine strikeouts was the most by a Power reliever in one game since Roque Mercedes in 2008
AROUND THE ORGANIZATION: Pittsburgh defeated San Diego 3-1 and remain a game ahead St. Louis in the NL Central...Indianapolis lost 6-2 to Syracuse but remain ten games ahead in the division...Altoona split a doubleheader with Reading, losing game one 4-2 and taking game two 3-2...Bradenton had an off day Monday and will play Jupiter tonight...Jamestown scored two runs in the bottom of the eighth and held of a ninth inning Auburn rally to win 8-7. The Jammers received some help from Wyatt Mathisen, who is on rehab assignment and went 2-3 with two walks.
ON THE AIR: West Virginia Power games can be heard on Charleston's ESPN 104.5 FM and 1490 AM in Charleston, WV, and online at wvpower.com. Adam Marco will call the action for all 140 games this season and will be joined by Mike Baggerman when the team plays at Appalachian Power Park.
South Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2013
- Grasshoppers Top Shorebirds 11-10 in 13 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 9-Run Inning Leads 'Dads to 11-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Halladay Throws Six in BlueClaws 3-2 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Falls in 11 - West Virginia Power
- Bird Blasts RiverDogs Past Power in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Win 6-3, Trail by 1 1/2 - Lexington Legends
- Gnats Snap Intimidators Win Streak - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Braves Drop Drive in Series Opener, 4-2 - Greenville Drive
- Minor League Baseball Retains Property Consulting Group - SAL
- Intimidators vs. Sand Gnats - Game Notes - August 20, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power vs. RiverDogs - Game Notes - August 20, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Renegades to Trade PA Announcers for One Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- Second Rounder Danish to Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Friday is Back to School Night in Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Gnats Split Series With Jackets - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Brinson Bombs 20th HR in 'Dads 5-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.